The Miami Dolphins welcomed center Mike Pouncey back to the team facilities yesterday, after having been forced to miss last Sunday's game with an infection. Pouncey explained that his illness started on Wednesday night last week, when he ate what he described as "bad food." He was ill on Thursday but conducted the team's walk through, despite nausea and vomiting. By Friday, when he showed up for practice, the team realized things were not getting better.
"Friday night I came in and I was all bad," Pouncey told the media on Wednesday. "They sent me to a doctor, put me in a hospital. I came out Saturday feeling good, did the walk-through, was feeling better and wasn't throwing up as much. And then it all hit me again. I spent a couple more nights in the hospital after that."
Sunday, while the Dolphins were on the field, Pouncey was home recuperating and watching the game on TV. Except he was not alone when he watched the game. Pouncey was joined by suspended guard Richie Incognito.
Incognito has been out of the team's last two games after being "indefinitely" suspended by the team for allegation of -misconduct stemming from the Jonathan Martin bullying situation. NFL investigator Ted Wells has been at the Dolphins' team facility since Monday, interviewing players, coaches and executives, as they try to get to the bottom of the situation that led to Martin leaving the club over three-weeks ago.
Of the time with Incognito, Pouncey said, "He looked over at me and was like, 'Man, I can't believe we're sitting here watching the Dolphins play.' I was like, 'It's unbelievable, bro. I never pictured this ever in my life.' We got a laugh out of it, and we got to watch a great game."
"He's doing really good," Pouncey continued. "He's in good spirits. He wants to get back on this football team, he wants to get back and play football."
Pouncey only stretched with the team during Wednesday's practice, and looked thinner. He said he only lost five pounds, and feels like he could play on Sunday, but that he has to wait for clearance from the team's doctors. "I want to be out there right now, trust me," he said. "I just have to listen to what the doctors say and I've got to be patient, because they know a lot more than I do."
Earlier this week, reports said doctors were concerned they would have to remove Pouncey's gallbladder, if he did not respond to medications. However, those fears appear to have waned. Of course, the team and the medical community will be careful with the veteran center. But, based on the tweet from Pouncey yesterday morning before practice, at least he believes he is ready to get back to football:
Back 2 life! #letsgetit— Mike Pouncey (@MikePouncey) November 20, 2013
Apparently the offensive line is happy to see Pouncey back as well - and they haven't lost their sense of humor despite the on going investigation:
Look what I found in my locker today S/O to the oline lol pic.twitter.com/5dFmLpkA43— Mike Pouncey (@MikePouncey) November 20, 2013