Phinsider Radio show notes for June 9, 2021.
- Mandatory minicamp is June 15-17, the end of “phase 3 of the offseason.”
- Phase 3 of the offseason is coming to an end…. This means it is THE PRE PRE SEASON…
- We’re going to spend this week going over what we think are some of the best storylines heading into training camp. Players are reporting to training camp on July 27.
- Dolphins to host joint practices with the Falcons.
10 of Phinsider Radio’s top-20 storylines to follow when the Miami Dolphins begin training camp.
1. Xavien Howard and contract talks.
- So far we’ve only heard rumors that this could happen.
- To be fair, everything we hear involving Howard is usually a rumor.
- Under contract through 2024.
- Will account for 7 percent of Miami’s total cap this and next year.
- Byron Jones the only member of the Miami Dolphins to make more than Howard this season.
- Jones will make $2.5 million more than Howard.
- Howard led the league with 10 interceptions last year.
2. How often will our Twitter timelines be focused on Jacoby Brissett talk?
- If Brisset has a few good throws or Tua struggles one day…. Watch out!
- We hang on to these practices like they’re games.
- We did believe he was one of the best backup options at quarterback.
- Last year he was only used when a big throw was needed #strongarm
- He will work with Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns, probably Jaylen Waddle. Maybe even Preston Williams and Lynn Bowden Jr.
3. How clear will Miami’s vision be when it comes to planning the running back depth?
- Last year all we spoke about was Jordan Howard and Matt Breida.
- Myles Gaskin became the guy, but there were a couple of games where they tried to force-feed Howard.
- Pandemic and preseason are probably large reasons why we were blindsided, but still….
- Gaskin, Malcolm Brown, Salvon Ahmed, Gerrid Doaks, Malcolm Perry, Jordan Scarlett and Patrick Laird all under contract.
- The team kept a fullback last year, Carl Tucker from Alabama now on the roster.
- Is this a group that will need reinforcements? Ahmed and DeAndre Washington and even Laird had big roles at times last year.
4. How quickly will we put Jaelan Phillips in the ring of honor?
- The 2020 second-team All-American is the king of offseason hype.
- Don’t really mean that in a bad way.
- After the fact, there are plenty of people saying he is the best edge rusher in the draft.
- Still can’t believe Chris Simms said he was right behind Chase Young if this was last year.
- He will get his fair share to do a bunch of different things due to his versatility.
- Andrew Van Ginkel, Vince Biegel, Duke Riley (getting some June hype)... nobody has a spot starting job locked up out of this group.
5. How many podcasts will we do this season that feature long talks about Miami’s center?
- Matt Skura from Baltimore
- Was okay until falling into fumbling issues and was benched.
- Tyler Gauthier spent last year on the practice squad.
- 25-year old Cameron Tom from Southern Miss also listed on the depth chart most of his career is on the practice squad.
- Michael Dieter can also play center.
6. Let the investigation between George Godsey and Eric Studsville begin.
- Most have been critical of this approach at offensive coordinator.
- Everyone will be peaking to see who is calling the plays at each and every practice.
- What will the playbook look like?
- I remember how jacked up I was for Bill Lasor’s offense in the first preseason game… 2014?
7. Who will become Miami’s slot cornerback?
- Does Nik Needham hold the job for the third-straight year?
- Does Noah Igbinoghene show why he was taken so early in the draft?
- Does Justin Coleman walk in as an absolute stud?
- Is Jason McCourty in the mix?
8. Does Christian Wilkins become expendable or indispensable in his third season?
- 43 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 14 games last year.
- 5 passes defended last year!! And an interception.
- Two passes defended as a rookie, that is a huge element of his game, not the biggest guy that blows through double-teams, so he can sit back and be that dude in the lanes.
- Also is used at fullback at times.
9. Which rookie enters the preseason with the most hype?
- We heard about the Waddle fumbles.
- Phillips... exactly…
- Jevon Holland because he is starting?
- Does Liam Eichenberg look like a stud at tackle?
- Is Hunter Long = Mike Gesicki, Durham Smythe and Adam Shaheen combined?
10. The surprise cuts are coming
- The Dolphins have plenty of competitions brewing.
- THAT IS A GOOD THING.