clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

90-in-90 Miami Dolphins roster breakdown: Greg Joseph

New, comments
Florida Atlantic v Florida International Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images

This morning’s edition of our annual 90-in-90 series jumps to the first of two kickers on the roster right now, both of whom are rookies hoping to claim a roster spot. This series is an annual look at the Miami Dolphins’ 90-man preseason roster, one each (almost each?) day.

We start each article with a look at the player’s performance from the previous year, whether that was in the NFL or in college. Then we take a look at how the player will likely do in 2018, with a glance at both progression and regression. Finally, we look at whether the player will likely make the 53-man regular season roster or not.

This year, we have already finished looks at 18 players, wide receiver Leonte Carroo, punter Matt Haack, safety T.J. McDonald, running back Buddy Howell, wide receiver DeVante Parker, defensive end William Hayes, wide receiver Isaiah Ford, safety/cornerback Walt Aikens, defensive end Claudy Mathieu, linebacker Kiko Alonso, cornerback Xavien Howard, long snapper Lucas Gravelle, wide receiver Danny Amendola, tight end A.J. Derby, running back Frank Gore, defensive tackle Gabe Wright, wide receiver Kenny Stills, cornerback Tony Lippett, and kicker Jason Sanders. Today, we take a look at the other kicker on the roster, Greg Joseph

2017 Review

Joesph was a four year letterman at Florida Atlantic. As a senior, he appeared in all 14 games and went for 15 of 21 field goals (69.5 pct). For PAT’s he was 64 of 68 (94.1 pct). Compared to his junior season, his field goal percentage was the same as his senior percentage. However, as a junior, Joseph converted all 39 of his PAT’s.

Why he will progress

If Joseph were to make the roster, good for him. He would have to beat out the Dolphins seventh round selection, Jason Sanders. Whichever kicker makes the roster, Darren Rizzi should be able to mold them into a serviceable kicker.

Why he will regress

Like Sanders, Joseph’s field goal percentage is a little bothersome. If Joseph cannot get that figured out, he has no shot of making this roster. One of these two kickers will make the roster. So the one that gets released will be considered regressed right?

Chances of making the 53-man roster

The Dolphins invested a draft selection in Jason Sanders. He is the one to beat for the kicking gig. The coaches have stated that the competition has been even through OTA’s, but the real test will come during the preseason. Nogle gave Sanders a 60 percent chance of making the roster, so let’s go ahead and say Joseph has a 40 percent chance of making it.