Two years ago, the Alabama Crimson Tide were preparing to face the Clemson Tigers in the 2016 National Championship Game to conclude the College Football Playoff. A year ago, the Alabama Crimson Tide were preparing to face the Clemson Tigers in the 2017 National Championship Game. This year, the Alabama Clemson Tide beat the Clemsom Tigers in the semifinal round of the College Football Playoff, so we will get a different championship game, with Alabama facing their fellow SEC members, the Georgia Bulldogs.
Just fascinating stuff.
At least this year, no matter what the outcome, we get the fun of split National Champions as the undefeated (13-0) UCF Knights have claimed the title as the top team in the game, being the only FBS team to finish the season - or any of the four seasons since the College Football Playoff started - with a perfect record. UCF beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl earlier this year, meaning they beat the one team to have beaten Alabama and Georgia this year. By transitive properties, there is probably a national championship claim in there somewhere
Anyway, as for the game between Alabama and Georgia, we have everything you need to know about the game listed below:
College Football Playoff Championship
(4) Alabama vs. (3) Georgia
Kickoff: 8pm ET
Stadium: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta Georgia
TV Channel: ESPN family of channels (MegaCast explained below)
TV Announcers: Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit
Online Stream: WatchESPN
Radio Announcers: Sean McDonough, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe, Ian Fitzsimmons
Spanish Broadcast: ESPN Deportes and ESPN Deportes Radio
Announcers: TV: Lalo Vaerla, Pablo Viruega; Radio: Kenneth Garay, Sebastian M. Christensen
Favorite: Alabama -5
Uniforms: Alabama - white; Georgia - red
ESPN Megacast Information: The entire ESPN family of networks will be involved in the broadcast, bringing back the ESPN Megacast production the network used for the last five title games. While the regular television broadcast will be on ESPN and the radio broadcast will be on ESPNRadio, there will be a host of other options to fully cover the game:
- ESPN Voices (ESPNU) - Five ESPN-themed shows/productions operating on their own. The five shows will all be on the screen, along with the game. The sounds from each show will jump around throughout the night, with the ability to watch specific shows online via ESPN3. The five groups will be: The Dan Le Batard Show, SportsCenter, NFL Live, ESPN at LA Live, and The Cool Room-NYC.
- Homer Telecast (ESPN2) - Joe Tessitore will team with Landon Collins for the Alabama fan point of view, while Adam Amin and Aaron Murray provide the Georgia fan point of view. All four will be on the floor of the stadium.
- Coaches Film Room (ESPNews) - Colorado State coach Mike Bobo, Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, and former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin will break down the game as it is played.
- Finebaum Film Room (SEC Network) -Paul Finebaum, Greg McElroy, and Gene Chizik will watch and analyze the game, while interacting with fans..
- Sounds of the Game (ESPN Classic) - 100 microphones throughout the stadium bring the natural sounds of the game without analysts. Will include pre-game and halftime ceremonies.
- Command Center (ESPN Goal Line) - Split screen with live action and immediate replays of every play, isolated coaches cameras, and ESPN Radio broadcast.
- Home Town Radio (ESPN3) - ESPN telecast with selectable Alabama and Clemson home radio broadcasts.
- Data Center (ESPN3) - Analytical data and social media content throughout the game.
- Sky Cam (ESPN3) - Continuous feed of the overhead/behind -the-offense camera.
- High Sky Cam (ESPN3) - Continuous feed of a second overhead/behind-the-offense camera from a higher viewpoint than Sky Cam.
- All-22 (ESPN3) - Entire game from the All-22 film point of view.
- Anthony Averett, CB
- Rashaan Evans, LB
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB
- Damien Harris, RB
- Ronnie Harrison, S
- Da’Ron Payne, DT
- Calvin Ridley, WR
- Bo Scarbrough, RB
- Levi Wallace, CB
- Davin Bellamy, OLB/DE
- Lorenzo Carter, OLB/DE
- Nick Chubb, RB
- Sony Michel, RB
- Roquan Smith, LB
- Trenton Thompson, DT
- Isaiah Wynn, G/T