The Miami Dolphins hold the 22nd overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. While the start of the Draft is still six hours away, and the Dolphins pick likely coming around 2.5 hours after it actually starts, there is still plenty of time to take a look back at the history of the 22nd overall pick.
Last year, the Washington Redskins used the 22nd pick, a selection they received from the Houston Texans as part of a trade that saw Washington move up one position. With the selection, the Redskins picked TCU wide receiver Josh Doctson, who only played in two games as a rookie with two receptions and 66 yards, before being placed on injured reserve with an Achilles injury.
In 2015, the 22nd overall pick belonged to the Pittsburgh Steelers, who used it to select Kentucky linebacker Bud Dupree. Playing both outside linebacker and defensive end in his two seasons, Dupree has played in 23 games with nine starts, recording 50 tackles, 8.5 sacks, two passes defensed, and a forced fumble.
The 2014 Draft saw the Cleveland Browns trade up in the first round, giving the Philadelphia Eagles the 26th overall pick (which Cleveland had acquired from the Indianapolis Colts) and the 83rd overall pick (third round). With the selection, the Browns added Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, who appeared in 15 games with eight starts in 2014 and 2015, throwing for 1,675 yards on 57.0-percent completions with seven touchdowns and seven interceptions, giving him a 74.4 passer rating. Manziel was released in March 2016, and has not been signed by another team.
In 2013, the Atlanta Falcons used the 22nd pick, a selection that was also held by the Washington Redskins and the St. Louis Rams at different times. Originally a Washington pick, they sent it to the Rams as a part of the 2012 trade for the second-overall pick that was used to select Robert Griffin III. The Rams then sent it to the Falcons, along with a seventh-round pick in 2015, in exchange for Atlanta’s first-round pick (30th overall), third-round pick (92nd overall), and sixth-round pick (198th overall). The Falcons then selected Washington cornerback Desmond Trufant, who has started 57 games in four years, only missing time in 2016 when a shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve. He has 203 career tackles, seven interceptions, 48 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries (with one touchdown), and three sacks. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2015.
The Browns also used the the 22nd overall pick in 2012, again trading for it and again using it to grab a quarterback. This time, they got the pick from the Atlanta Falcons, who had jumped up to the sixth-overall pick in 2011, with Cleveland adding this selection, a fourth-round pick (118th overall), and 2011’s first-, fourth-, and sixth-round picks. The Browns added Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden, who played two years in Cleveland. He appeared in 23 games in 2012 and 2013, with 20 starts, throwing for 5,116 yards with a 55.9 percent completion rate, 23 touchdowns, 26 interceptions, and a 71.8 passer rating. He has also spent time with the Dallas Cowboys in 2014 and 2015, then was claimed off waivers in 2015 by the Houston Texans and re-signed with the team in 2016 on a two-year contract.
The list of 22nd overall picks from 1980 is:
- 2016: Washington Redskins - Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
- 2015: Pittsburgh Steelers - Bud Dupree, LB, Kentucky
- 2014: Cleveland Browns - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- 2013: Atlanta Falcons - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
- 2012: Cleveland Browns - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
- 2011: Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
- 2010: Denver Broncos - Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
- 2009: Minnesota Vikings - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
- 2008: Dallas Cowboys - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
- 2007: Cleveland Browns - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
- 2006: San Francisco 49ers - Manny Lawson, LB, North Carolina State
- 2005: Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
- 2004: Buffalo Bills - J.P. Losman, QB, Tulane
- 2003: Chicago Bears - Rex Grossman, QB, Florida
- 2002: New York Jets - Bryan Thomas, DE, UAB
- 2001: New York Giants - Will Allen, CB, Syracuse
- 2000: Seattle Seahawks - Chris McIntosh, OT, Wisconsin
- 1999: Seattle Seahawks - Lamar King, DE, Saginaw Valley State
- 1998: New England Patriots - Tebucky Jones, S, Syracuse
- 1997: Dallas Cowboys - David LaFleur, TE, LSU
- 1996: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Jones, DE, North Carolina
- 1995: Carolina Panthers - Tyrone Poole, CB, Fort Valley State
- 1994: Los Angeles Raiders - Rob Fredrickson, LB, Michigan State
- 1993: San Diego Chargers - Darrien Gordon, CB, Stanford
- 1992: Chicago Bears - Alonzo Spellman, DE, Ohio State
- 1991: Chicago Bears - Stan Thomas, OT, Texas
- 1990: Philadelphia Eagles - Ben Smith, CB, Georgia
- 1989: Indianapolis Colts - Andre Rison, WR, Michigan State
- 1988: Houston Oilers - Lorenzo White, RB, Michigan State
- 1987: San Francisco 49ers - Harris Barton, OT, North Carolina
- 1986: New York Jets - Mike Haight, OT, Iowa
- 1985: Chicago Bears - William Perry, DT, Clemson
- 1984: Seattle Seahawks - Terry Taylor, CB, Southern Illinois
- 1983: San Diego Chargers - Gill Byrd, CB, San Jose State
- 1982: Green Bay Packers - Ron Hallstrom, G, Iowa
- 1981: Cleveland Browns - Hanford Dixon, CB, Southern Miss
- 1980: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ray Snell, G, Wisconsin