Every NFL team is connected to all the other teams by former players, coaches, and colleges. We did not do our weekly connections post last year, but we are looking to bring it back this year, starting with the Miami Dolphins’ Week 1 opponent, the Seattle Seahawks.
Who used to play together with other NFL teams? What former Dolphins players or coaches are with the Seahawks - or vice-versa? What players went to college together? We explore the rosters for both the Dolphins and Seahawks, looking for the connections between the teams.
- Dolphins defensive end Jason Jones played for Seattle in 2012.
- Seahawks defensive line coach Travis Jones spent 2005 as the Miami defensive line coach and defensive end/outside linebacker coach in 2006 and 2007.
- Dolphins cornerback Byron Maxwell was a sixth-round draft pick of the Seahawks in 2011, playing for the team through the 2014 season.
- Seattle safety Kelcie McCray began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent signed by the Dolphins in 2012 and played for Miami in 2013.
- Seahawks assistant defensive backs/assistant special teams coach Nick Sorenson was an undrafted free agent signing by the Dolphins in 2001.
- Dolphins defensive end Julius Warmsley spent time in 2014 and 2015 on Seattle’s practice squad.
- Seattle tight end Brandon Williams played for the Dolphins in 2015.
- Dolphins defensive line coach Terrell Williams conducted a defensive line coaching internship with the Seahawks in 2007.
- Dolphins general manager Chris Grier was a regional scout for the New England Patriots from 1995 to 1999; Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll was the head coach for the Patriots from 1997 to 1999.
- Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith served as the running backs coach (1995-2007) and assistant head coach (2006-2007) with the Tennessee Titans; Dolphins senior defensive assistant/pass rush specialist Jim Washburn was the Titans defensive line coach from 1999 to 2010; Dolphins linebackers coach Matt Burke was the Titans administrative assistant from 2004 to 2005 and defensive assistant/quality control coach from 2006-2008.
- Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril played at Purdue from 2004 to 2007, where Dolphins defensive line coach Terrell Williams served as Purdue’s defensive line coach (2006-2009) and Dolphins defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo was the Purdue defensive backs coach (2004-2011).
- Dolphins running back Kenyan Drake (2012-2015) and Seattle defensive tackle Jarran Reed (2014-2015) were teammates at Alabama, and were on the 2015-2016 National Championship team.
- Seahawks tight end George Fent and Miami quarterback Brandon Doughty were teammates at Western Kentucky in 2015.
- Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry (2010-2012) and Seattle cornerback Tharold Simon (2010-2012) were teammates at LSU.
- Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill (2008-2011) was teammates with Seahawks running back Christine Michael (2009-2012) and safety Steven Terrell (2009-2012) at Texas A&M.
- Dolphins safety Michael Thomas (2008-2011) was teammates with Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin (2007-2010) and cornerback Richard Sherman (2006-2010) at Stanford.
- Seattle tight end Brandon Williams (2012-2012) was teammates with Miami linebacker Kiko Alonso (2010-2012) and defensive end Dion Jordan (2010-2012; Reserve/NFI) at Oregon.
- Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril is from Green Cove Springs, Florida.
- Seattle wide receiver Doug Baldwin is from Gulf Breeze, Florida.
- Seattle linebackers coach Michael Barrow is from Homestead, Florida, attending Homestead High School and the University of Miami.
- Seattle running back Alex Collins is from Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Seahawks director of pro personnel Dan Morgan attended Taravella High School in Coral Springs, Florida and attended the University of Miami.
- Seattle defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin is from Pensacola, Florida.
- Seattle assistant offensive line coach Pat Ruel is from Coral Gables, Florida, attending Coral Gables High School and the University of Miami.