The Miami Dolphins have officially announced the signing of 12 undrafted free agents. These players, who were not selected during the 2016 NFL Draft, were free to sign with any franchise, eventually agreeing to terms with the Dolpins. The team signed:
- Akil Blount, linebacker, Florida A&M
- James Burgess, linebacker, Louisville
- Ruben Carter, center/guard, Toledo
- Ryan DiSalvo, long snapper, San Jose State
- Tyler Gray, linebacker, Boise State
- AJ Hendy, safety, Maryland
- Gabe Hughes, tight end, Florida Tech
- Farrington Huguenin, defensive end, Kentucky
- Marshall Koehn, kicker, Iowa
- Lafayette PItts, cornerback, Pittsburgh
- Rashawn Scott, wide receiver, Miami
- Brandon Shippen, wide receiver, Temple
The Dolphins are opening their rookie minicamp on Friday. The team will not hold on-field practices during the minicamp, but will instead look to conduct classroom work, including film study, playbook work, and a series of classes on taking care of their money, life in the NFL, and more off-field topics.
In recent years, the Dolphins have kept a few undrafted free agents on the opening day roster each season. They could also sign these players to the practice squad if they feel they have potential but are not ready to contribute as of yet. Players signed to the practice squad have to clear waivers prior to being able to re-join the team.