The NFL’s Week 16 schedule continues through its spread out Thursday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday schedule with today’s two Christmas day games. The majority of the schedule was completed on Saturday, with two games on Sunday impacting the AFC while the Monday Night Football game will feature two NFC teams.
The Saturday slate of games went a long way toward clearing up the AFC Playoff picture, with three teams locked into the postseason now, and five teams battling for the remaining three positions. By the end of Sunday, all three of those spots could be claimed, with just seeding left to be decided in Week 17.
AFC Playoff Picture (through Week 16 Saturday)
1. New England Patriots (13-2) - AFC East champions; First-round bye clinched
Note: In previous updates to the playoff picture, we noted the Patriots had clinched home-field advantage. That was incorrect as they have clinched just a first-round bye. A win in Week 17 or an Oakland loss will clinch home-field advantage for New England.
2. Oakland Raiders (12-3) - AFC West leader; Playoff berth clinched
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-5)* - AFC North leader
4. Houston Texans (9-6) - AFC South champions
5. Kansas City Chiefs (10-4)* - Wildcard 1
6. Miami Dolphins (10-5) - Wildcard 2
In the hunt:
Baltimore Ravens (8-6)*
Denver Broncos (8-6)*
Tennessee Titans (8-7)
Indianapolis Colts (7-8)
Buffalo Bills (7-8)
Cincinnati Bengals (5-9-1)
San Diego Chargers (5-10)
New York Jets (4-11)
Jacksonville Jaguars (3-12)
Cleveland Browns (1-14)
* Still to play
Sunday clinching scenarios:
- Pittsburgh clinches the AFC North with a win.
- Kansas City clinches a playoff berth with a win OR a Baltimore loss (to Pittsburgh).
- Miami clinches a playoff berth with a Denver loss (to Kansas City).