The 12th practice of the Miami Dolphins' 2013 training camp was yesterday. Here's a look at what happened throughout the day.
- Ryan Tannehill's three interceptions will be the main story on the day, gettin picked off twice by Will Davis and once by Brent Grimes. As Omar Kelly pointed out on Twitter, Tannehill was taking about 80% of the offensive snaps, so there was a higher probability of picks. However, three picks is simply a bad day. Don't be overly worried about the bad day. Just look to see how he plays today in a rebound from that bad day.
- Chad Bumphis continues his string of strong performances, seemingly in on every other pass attempt on the day. He's definitely the player stepping up right now to try to fill the second half of the wide receiver depth chart.
- Jeff Fuller and Brian Tyms also had a good practice, both catching long passes from Tannehill.
- On defense, Davis is still playing at the top of his game. He got beat badly for a defensive pass interception call in the Hall of Fame Game, but he was solid after that. At practice yesterday, he pulled in two picks from Tannehill, giving him seven in five practices. That's a hot streak.
- Kicking update: Dan Carpenter kicked on Thursday, going two for three, making a 31-yarder and a 35-yarder, but missing from 47.
- Mike Wallace continues to stay on the sidelines during practice.
- Brian Hartline returned to work on Tuesday, and participated in some team drills. He was not a full participant, but he was out there and getting back into the rhythm.
- Jared Odrick returned to practice.
- Randy Starks is still being held out.
- John Jerry, Jamar Taylor, Reshard Matthews, Julius Pruitt, and Kyle Miller joined Wallace and Starks on the sideline doing rehab work.
- Josh Samuda had to sit out part of practice with an apparent knee injury. He returned to the workout, but then left again.
Press Conference Quotes
- "He did some good things. It was an education, there is no question about it. For a player like that, I think the fifth game is going to be very, very valuable for a player like that. He did some good things in coverage. He needs to tackle better. I talked to him today about it. Our coaches talked to him about it. We have to tackle better in general. Football is still blocking and tackling. We have to a better job tackling." - Joe Philbin on Will Davis
- "I think any left tackle in his second year in this league is a work in progress, and I think Jonathan Martin is as well. It's a premier position. I don't know if any left tackle other than the Jonathan Ogden's of the world, the Richmond Webb's of the world that walk in and can effectively do the job play-after-play. In practice he is going against what I consider a couple of the very best pass rushers in football, it's a great challenge for him. It's definitely going to get him a lot better. But I'm pleased with his progress. Does he have a ways to go, yes, but I expected that going in that he's going to have to continue to work to get better, and he's going to be a fine left tackle in this league, if not a very good one." - Mike Sherman on Jonathan Martin
- "Offensively, as a group, we really didn't have a good practice today. That goes without saying. I wouldn't put, even though it goes under his name, I wouldn't put them all on (Tannehill), but obviously everyone will associate him with that. We have some young receivers as well, people breaking our routes. We had a lot of pressure today. He'll have better days, and today wasn't one of his best days. It wasn't one of our best offensive days, and I can do better." - Mike Sherman on Ryan Tannehill's three interceptions
- "It feels good man, I can put this behind me and go out and just do what I do now. First off, just thank God for this blessing, and thank this whole organization. They said they would do it and it just proves how much these guys trust and believe in me as a player, but more importantly as person, on and off the field. We've been working on this since OTA's and they said they would get it done, and like I said they went out and got it done. So that's a thanks to Stephen Ross, Jeff Ireland, Coach Philbin and this whole organization for making this possible." - Rehsad Jones on his new contract
- "I'm frustrated by today. Today wasn't a good day. Very frustrating, but if you take a step back and look at the whole, I am definitely moving in the right direction if you take out today. Frustrated with the day, not happy about it, but I will make the corrections and move forward." - Ryan Tannehill on the day's performance
Next Public Practice
- Wednesday, 1:30pm ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie