Miami Dolphins at New Orleans Saints
Monday, September 30 - 8:40pm ET
SB Nation Blog: Canal Street Chronicles
- All time record: Miami 6-4
- Recent streak: Saints 1 win
- Last Dolphins win in New Orleans: October 30, 2005
- Miami has a 40-36 record on Monday Night Football. This will be their first time facing the Saints on Monday night.
- Record: 7-9
- Total Offense: 2
- Total Defense: 32
New Orleans key additions:
- Keenan Lewis, Cornerback
- Jason Smith, Tackle
- Benjamin Watson, Tight end
New Orleans key departures:
- Jermod Bushrod, Tackle
- Sedrick Ellis, Defensive tackle
- Devery Henderson, Wide receiver
New Orleans Draft:
|3||75||Terron Armstead||OT||Arkansas-Pine Bluff|
|6||183||Rufus Johnson||DE||Tarleton State|
The most important part of the 2013 season for the Saints will be the return of head coach Sean Payton, who was suspended for the entire 2012 season for the Saint's bounty program.
The Saints hired former Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to the same position. He will transition the defense to a 3-4 scheme in an effort to rebound the worst defense in the league last year.
- Offensive tackle: With Jermon Bushrod's departure, the saints suddenly have a big hole on their offensive line. They signed Jason Smith, but he has never played to his potential, and that seems to be continuing in training camp. Third round draft pick Terron Armstead may be the best bet to start.
- Pass defense: The Saints should be better with Rob Ryan coaching the defense and the additions to their defense, but rebounding from allowing an NFL record 7,042 yards on defense, with the second highest passing yards allowed in the league at 4,758 yards, is not necessarily an overnight accomplishment.