The Miami Dolphins will visit the Cleveland Browns in Week 1 of the 2013 season. Here's a brief look at the Browns:
Miami Dolphins at Cleveland Browns
Sunday, September 8 - 1:00pm ET
SB Nation Blog: Dawgs by Nature
- All time record: Cleveland 8-7
- Recent streak: Cleveland 4 straight wins
- Last Dolphins win in Cleveland: October 10, 1993 (Dan Marino's Achilles' injury game)
- Second season opener for Miami in Cleveland (September 14, 1992 - Hurricane Andrew forced the rescheduling of the team's game against the New England Patriots in Week 1)
- Record: 5-11
- Total Offense:25
- Total Defense: 20
Cleveland key additions:
- Davone Bess, Wide receiver
- Jason Campbell, Quarterback
- Kellen Davis, Tight end
- Quentin Groves, Linebacker
Cleveland key departures:
- Josh Cribbs, Wide receiver
- Scott Fujita, Linebacker
- Colt McCoy, Quarterback
|3||68||Leon McFadden||CB||San Diego State|
|6||175||Jamoris Slaughter||S||Notre Dame|
|7||217||Armonty Bryant||DE||East Central|
|7||227||Garrett Gilkey||G||Chadron State|
The Browns fired head coach Pat Shurmur after the end of the 2012 season. He had recorded a 9-23 record during his two seasons in Cleveland. After seeing negotiations with Oregon's Chip Kelly breakdown, the Browns Rob Chudzinski, who spent the 2011 and 2012 seasons as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator.
The team also added former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as offensive coordinator and former Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton to the same position.
- Quarterback: Incumbent Brandon Weeden did not have a good 2012, and will now have to quickly master a new offensive system if he wants to hold on to his position. Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer will both be on his tail, looking to prove they can be starters in the league.
- Running backs: Trent Richardson has injury issues already in his career. Behind him, Montario Hardesty and Dion Lewis will look to earn the second spot, and steal some carries from Richardson.
- Wide receiver: Currently the Browns are looking at a group of wide receivers consisting of Davone Bess, Travis Benjamin, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Davis Nelson, and Jordan Norwoord (among others, but those are the ones likely to make the roster). While some of those receivers have show flashes of potential (like second year Gordon and Dolphins fans know what to expect from Bess), someone will have to step up in camp to have an impact on the team.
- Impact of ownership issues: This could be a cloud that floats over the franchise throughout the year. Maybe it won't impact play on game day, but it is not exactly setting things up well for the season. Jimmy Haslam, who bought the Browns in 2012, is under investigation from the IRS and FBI into his Pilot Flying J corporation, looking to see if they have been defrauding their consumers. Haslam's offices have been raided multiple times in the investigation.