Do you love the Miami Dolphins? Most likely, since you are reading this on a Miami Dolphins blog. Do you want to write about the Miami Dolphins? Well, if you answered yes to both questions, today may be your lucky day.
The Phinsider is looking for candidates to staff the site's news desk initiative, covering breaking news as it happens and updating stories via the StoryStream technology. As we develop the position more, and as time permits, some of the basic, pre-planned posts (weekly injury reports, TV schedules, etc.) will also be in the realm of the news desk.
Duties: During shifts, candidates are responsible for creating new StoryStreams covering breaking news, updating existing StoryStreams with new news about that story, writing posts based on pre-planned content in our Assignment Desk tool and scouring the internet for stories to write in support of the Miami Dolphins, the AFC East, the top NFL stories and The Phinsider. Candidates will be coordinating with editors and supporting The Phinsider through the publishing of news.
Background and qualifications: This is an entry-level position in sports media. Candidates with experience producing sports news content, either as an intern, academic, or professional capacity, are preferred, as is a journalism degree, however, none of those are required. Strong knowledge of all sports, and a demonstrated ability to write in an online environment are required.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong knowledge about the Miami Dolphins, both current and historical;
- Possesses excellent writing skills and demonstrates proper use of the English language;
- Has a nose for news, both in knowing what is important and identifying where to find it;
- Is able to write in line with out best practices for ideal search engine optimization (SEO);
- Is able to write and publish quickly, while remaining accurate;
- Is a self starter who can work with minimal direction;
- Possesses solid communication skills;
- Is comfortable working in a virtual environment.
Hours: Newsroom writers will work in three- to four-hour shifts, which generally run between the times of 9am ET to 12:15am ET, seven days a week. Shifts will include mornings, late nights, and weekends. Schedules will change from time to time based on the sports calendar. Shifts will be flexible, as needed.
Compensation: Several of our writers have gone on to receive compensation to work at The Phinsider, as well as opportunities within SB Nation over the years. However, available positions are currently unpaid. Depending on your work, dedication, and talent, there are always opportunities to move up within the site or company.
How to apply: Candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to ThePhinsider@gmail.com.