The Miami Dolphins are on the field again today under the eyes of the local media. Today was the one day during the team's second three-day Organized Team Activity (OTA) when the media could be present. Here's a look at some of the happenings from the day:
- The Dolphins practiced in the bubble today, which made a lot of sense. The weather was not cooperating, and, while it was not a hard rain, the field was wet, so there was no reason for the team to be out there, risking an injury on the slippery surface.
- Special guests at the workout included the Florida Atlantic coaching staff, as well as former Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington. CP10 said he was there to "share my experiences a little bit." Could Pennington be more than just a visitor on the day? Philbin says after the practice that he is not sure, CP10 is a busy man.
- Players notably absent from the workout: Defensive tackle Randy Starks, who is skipping all of the voluntary workouts as he expresses his displeasure with the franchise tag, and wide receiver Mike Wallace. Why Wallace was not present was unknown.
- Armon Binns moved into the starting position with Wallace out. He looks to be a redzone target for the Dolphins this year.
- Rehab work was being done by Dallas Thomas (shoulder), Jamar Taylor (sports hernia), and Lance Louis (knee).
- Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall took the reps as the first team cornerbacks. Taylor figures to be in the mix for one of the two top spots once he heals from surgery.
- The weight of the right side of the Dolphins' offensive line is impressive.
- Lamar Miller held the first team running back slot, with Daniel Thomas behind him. Michael Egnew continues to be the second tight end behind Dustin Keller, with Charles Clay the third. Egnew is looking good early this year, something that did not happen last year.
- Miami focused a lot on redzone play today.
- Omar Kelly's top three performers for the day:
- James Walker's top performers for the day:
Stars of today's #Dolphins practice were WR Rishard Matthews, who had a big day, and the first-team defense. The D definitely won today.— James Walker (@JamesWalkerESPN) May 29, 2013
Dolphins top performers 1. WR Rishard Matthews (3 TDs). 2. Safety Kelcie McCray (Int, big goal line breakup). 3. Koa Misi (pick 6)— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) May 29, 2013
[UPDATE 1:57pm ET:]
Mike Wallace missed practice today to attend to a family emergency, the Miami Herald has learned. He is fine.— Adam Beasley (@AdamHBeasley) May 29, 2013