The Miami Dolphins have released their first depth chart of the 2012 preseason. Jesse Agler of the Finsiders radio show on MiamiDolphins.com tweeted out a picture of the chart, reminding people that is is "very, very subject to change."
While nothing on the depth chart could be considered "shocking," there were a few surprises, even if some of them were foreshadowed during the most recent training camp practices.
Here is the defensive depth chart, as the Dolphins currently have it. Earlier today, we looked at the Dolphins' depth chart from the offensive side of the ball.
|LE||Jared Odrick||Derrick Shelby||Jarrell Root|
|DT||Randy Starks||Tony McDaniel||Chas Alecxih|
|DT||Paul Soliai||Kheeston Randall||Isaako Aaitui||Ryan Baker|
|RE||Cameron Wake||Olivier Vernon||Jamaal Westermann||Jacquies Smith|
|LB||Kevin Burnett||Gary Guyton||Jonathan Freeny||Shelly Lyons|
|LB||Karlos Dansby||Austin Spitler||Cameron Collins|
|LB||Koa Misi||Jason Trusnik||Josh Kaddu|
|CB||Sean Smith||Nolan Carroll||Jonathan Wade||Trenton Hughes||Marcus Brown|
|CB||Richard Marshall||Vontae Davis||Quinten Lawrence||Kevyn Scott||Vincent Agnew|
|S||Chris Clemons||Jimmy Wilson||Tyrell Johnson||Kelcie McCray|
|S||Reshad Jones||Tyrone Culver||Anderson Rusell|
|KOR||Marcus Thigpen||Lamar Miller||Steve Slaton||Clyde Gates|
|PR||Davone Bess||Marcus Thigpen||Clyde Gates||Rishard Matthews|
Bold - starters; Italics - rookies
- Defensive Line - No real surprises here. Only one that I would not have suspected would be Vernon backing up Wake and not Odrick - but really, that doesn't mean anything since they can all rotate around, and I would not be surprised if we see Odrick playing some tackle this year, and Starks moving out to play defensive end.
- Linebackers - Again, no real surprises.
- Cornerbacks - Throughout the last week of training camp, it's been noted that Davis was not playing while Smith, Marshall, Carroll, and the rest of the secondary were. Speculation was that Davis could be either being rested - or may have lost his position with the team. Now, the first depth chart comes out, and it looks like he has lost his position. Marshall, who was thought to be the team's nickel corner is listed as the starter alongside Smith, with Davis as Marshall's backup. This could change throughout the preseason, but for now, Davis has again lost his top spot.
- Safety - This seems to be exactly where it should be. No surprises.
- Special Teams - Only thing that seems a little surprising is the lack of Reggie Bush as a return man. Thigpen and Miller seem to have distanced themselves as the starting kick returners, while Bess will once again infuriate Dolphins fans with his solid return average, but lack of ability to break one for a touchdown. Oh, and Denney will long snap.
What are your reactions to the defensive depth chart? Is it more surprising than the offensive side of the ball?
And, again, this is the first depth chart of the preseason, and really only gives us a snapshot in time of what the final depth chart could look like. But's it's enough to get us talking, right?