Then, add in today's release of Julius Pruitt, and things are completely different on both sides of the ball now. Why not go ahead and update the projected roster.
Here is my current projection for the 53-man roster.
Quarterback (3): Ryan Tannehill, Matt Moore, Pat Devlin
Running Back (4): Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas, Lamar Miller, Marcus Thigpen
Wide Receiver (6): Davone Bess, Roberto Wallace, Brian Hartline, Jeff Fuller, Chris Hogan, Clyde Gates
Fullback (1): Jorvorskie Lane
Tight end (4): Anthony Fasano, Charles Clay, Jeron Mastrud, Michael Egnew
Tackle (3): Jake Long, Jonathan Martin, Will Yeatman
Guard (4): Richie Incognito, Artis Hicks, Nate Garner, John Jerry
Center (2): Mike Pouncey, Josh Samuda
TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: 27
Defensive End (5): Jared Odrick, Derrick Shelby, Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon, Jamaal Westerman
Defensive Tackle (4): Paul Soliai, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniel. Kheeston Randall
Linebacker (6): Karlos Dansby, Koa Misi, Kevin Burnett, Gary Guyton, Jason Trusnik, Austin Spitler
Cornerback (4): Sean Smith, Richard Marshall, Nolan Carroll, Quinten Lawrence
Safety (4): Chris Clemons, Reshad Jones, Jimmy Wilson, Tyrone Culver
TOTAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: 23
Kicker (1): Dan Carpenter
Punter (1): Brandon Fields
Long Snapper (1): John Denney
TOTAL SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS: 3
- WRs - I still don't have Legedu Naanee making the roster, mainly due to a lack of chemistry with quarterback Ryan Tannehill. To make up for Pruitt being cut, I have added Clyde Gates back onto the roster.
- O-Line - No change from Sunday - Lydon Murtha fell off the roster this week, because I have a feeling he will spend his second straight season on injured reserve. Murtha has, reportedly, reinjured the foot that required surgery last year, and he is in danger of having to be shut down again. With him going, the dorr opens for Andrew McDonald, Will Barker, and Yeatman. I picked Yeatman out of the group because the coaching staff seems to like the former tight end, putting in the work to transition him from TE to tackle. I would not be shocked if it was Barker who made it instead. Artis Hicks could be another guy in danger of landing on injured reserve - which would open a roster spot for Ray Feinga.
- D-Line - Jamaal Westerman takes the roster spot of Vontae Davis, for now. I don't think the Dolphins go into the season with only four CBs, but, I don't think the fifth is on the roster right now.
- Linebacker - No change from Sunday - After adding rookie Josh Kaddu to the 53-man roster last week, I dropped him off this week.
- Cornerbacks - Two changes messed up my CB roster projection, the trade of Davis and the cutting of Jonathan Wade. With that, I bumped Quinten Lawrence on to the roster, giving the team four CBs, a position they will probably look to upgrade in waiver pickups or a trade.
- Practive Squad - This is probably the area with the most change this week. Wide receiver Chris Hogan was bumped onto the 53-man roster, tight end Les Brown was released by the team, along with running back Jerome Messam and defensive tackle Chad Alecxih. While any of those three could be brought back to the practice squad, the fact that they were in the first round of cuts doesn'tmake things look good for them. - WR B.J. Cunninghan, WR Rishard Matthews, OT Andrew McDonald, DT Isaako Aaitui, LB Josh Kaddu, CB Vincent Agnew, CB Kevyn Scott, S Anderson Russell