Just six days ago, we looked at my prediction of the Miami Dolphins 53 man roster. Well, today, we find out for sure what that roster will be. Last night, the cuts got started with wide receiver John Matthews, safety Gerald Alexander, and tight end Dedrick Epps all heading for the exit.
Before the madness that will be today, I thought I would update my prediction of the 53 man roster, to see how close I can get it.
To remind you, this is not necessarily how I see the depth chart ending up. This is how I see the roster right at this moment, as if all the cuts were complete, giving us the 53 men to make the 2011 Dolphins.
I'm also going to predict the Dolphins' practice squad. For the rules regarding NFL practice squads, click here.
Head below the jump to see my predictions:
Lex Hilliard / Larry Johnson
Last 5 On: Will Allen, Roberto Wallace, Lex Hilliard, Joe Berger, Tyrone Culver
First 5 Off: Austin Spitler, Nic Grigsby, Phillip Livas, Nate Ness, Brett Brackett
Next 5 Off: Ryan Baker, Jeron Mastrud, Ronald Field, Ray Feinga, Mark Restelli
Practice Squad: Frank Kearse, Ryan Baker, Nate Ness, Brett Brakett, John Matthews, Dedrick Epps, Phillip Livas, Ray Feinga, Nic Grigsby
Injured Reserve: Allen Barbre
- Austin Spitler gets cut due to the numbers game. I have to assume some risk somewhere, and Spitler seems the best place to do it. He hasn't performed as well as some of the other linebackers, and with the projection to keep 6 WRs and 6 CBs, means someone has to go.
- I fully think that with his performance on Thursday night, Will Allen played his way right back on to the Dolphins roster.
- Also at CB, I switched out Nolan Carroll for Nate Ness from the last bubble watch. I am not really sure it's right, and it could go either way between those two, but I think Carroll makes it as of right now. As me again in 5 minutes.
- If the Dolphins do cut Ness, I think he is easily on the practice squad - unless someone else snatches him from the Dolphins.
- I have Lex Hilliard making the team barely. I think the Dolphins have to carry a fourth running back, and I think Larry Johnson surpassed Hilliard on the depth chart, but I'm not sure the team is still as in love with Hilliard as they once were.
- I would really like to get Mark Restelli onto the practice squad, but don't know who I have on it to take off. Best guess is Ness gets picked up somewhere else, and Restelli now has a spot.
- I won't swear by the practice squad, nor the last few guys on the roster. As cuts get made around the league, expect the Dolphins to again go after the acorns.