Yesterday the Dolphins completed everything that had to be done before camp by signing their top two draft picks to their rookie contracts. Now when the Dolphins hit the practice field at two o'clock they will have all of their guys ready to go.
That's right - football is back!
One of the most popular posts every camp seems to be our Depth Chart Bubble Watch. For those that are new to the site, let me quickly explain. It's a "March Madness-esque" look at the Dolphins roster. The idea behind it isn't so much to nail down and predict the depth chart at each position. Instead, it is to help put together a possible 53-man roster. It is more or less based on my opinions - taking into account practice reports, how the team is lining up by unit (first team, second team, etc...), and how they perform in preseason game action (once the preseason gets underway).
It's important to note that this is not how I predict the roster will look once the preseason comes to a close. Instead, it's simply a snapshot that examines how Miami's 53-man roster might look if the cuts were to be done at this very moment.
And it seems like this gets some good debate going. So I'm bringing it back each week this year from now until final cuts in September.
The chart and some notes about it are after the jump...
|1st Team||2nd Team||3rd Team/4th Team
|RB||Ronnie Brown||Ricky Williams||Patrick Cobbs/Lex Hilliard
|WR||Greg Camarillo||Davone Bess|
|TE||Anthony Fasano||Joey Haynos
|LT||Jake Long||Andrew Gardner|
|C||Jake Grove||Joe Berger|
|1st Team||2nd Team||3rd Team|
|DE||Kendall Langford||Marques Douglas
||Tony McDaniel||Charles Grant
|ILB||Channing Crowder||Tim Dobbins
|CB||Vontae Davis||Will Allen
|S||Yeremiah Bell||Tyrone Culver
|1st Team||2nd Team||3rd Team|
PUP: Chad Pennington
Last 5 On: Patrick Turner, John Nalbone, Cory Procter, Charles Grant, Nolan Carroll
First 5 Off: Kory Sheets, Ryan Baker, Lionel Dotson, Ryan Grice-Mullen, Kory Sperry
Next 5 Off: Erik Walden, Austin Spitler, J.D. Folsom, Chris McCoy, Evan Oglesby
Some notes on this, keeping in mind that this is very preliminary for now:
- Right now I have Hilliard ahead of Sheets. But that could definitely change, especially if Sheets shows he can also be a return man. Hilliard, though, was a key guy on the coverage units. So it will be hard parting with Lex. Kory could certainly do it, though.
- I doubt the Dolphins will keep ten offensive lineman like I have above. Procter is probably most at risk because of the depth the Dolphins have at guard. If the Dolphins were to keep only nine linemen, they could use that additional roster spot to keep a fifth halfback, a fourth quarterback, an eighth defensive lineman, or a fifth outside linebacker.
- Speaking of the defensive line, that might be the hardest position to speculate about right now. We really don't know what the Dolphins have planned for the two recently signed veterans. On the other hand, it's believed the coaches are high on both Ryan Baker and Lionel Dotson. And I have a feeling that Baker, because of how versatile he is and the upside he possesses, could find a spot on the 53 man roster. At the very least, he'll be on the practice squad.
- The fifth receiver spot is very much up for grabs. Turner needs to show improvement over last year and make up for missing basically all of the offseason stuff due to injury. Grice-Mullen is essentially a Bess clone and could push Turner. But do the Fins really want another under-sized WR?
- Right now I have Camarillo listed as the other starter and Hartline working with the second team. That could change. Hartline has more upside and has been described as a quicker, faster Camarillo. But I'm not about to count Greg out until he actually loses the job. Bess, however, is probably locked in as the slot receiver - which he's perfect for.