As you all know by now, the Dolphins 2009 schedule was released earlier tonight. Below is the week by week schedule:
|2009 MIAMI DOLPHINS SCHEDULE
||Dolphins at Falcons
||Monday, 9/21||Colts at Dolphins||8:30 ET
||Sunday, 9/27||Dolphins at Chargers||4:15 ET
||Sunday, 10/4||Bills at Dolphins||4:05 ET
||Monday, 10/12||Jets at Dolphins||8:30 ET
||Sunday, 10/18||Bye Week|
||Sunday, 10/25||Saints at Dolphins||4:15 ET
||Sunday, 11/1||Dolphins at Jets||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 11/8||Dolphins at Patriots||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 11/15||Bucs at Dolphins||1:00 ET
||Thursday, 11/19||Dolphins at Panthers||8:20 ET
||Sunday, 11/29||Dolphins at Bills||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 12/6||Patriots at Dolphins||8:20 ET
||Sunday, 12/13||Dolphins at Jaguars||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 12/20||Dolphins at Titans||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 12/27||Texans at Dolphins||1:00 ET
||Sunday, 1/3||Steelers at Dolphins||1:00 ET
It's important to note that weeks 11 through 17 are "flex scheduling weeks" - meaning games scheduled for Sunday afternoons can possibly be moved to Sunday night. And games scheduled for Sunday night can be moved to Sunday afternoon.
Some quick thoughts on the schedule:
- Many of you wanted some prime time games and you got them. Two Monday Night home games is great. Those of you who live in Florida, though, better get to Dolphin Stadium and fill the seats. There's nothing worse than having a lot of empty seats during a national prime time game.
- Having a Monday Night home opener is pretty damn cool - I must say. Interesting thing to note here is that the Dolphins are kicking the Marlins out of Dolphin Stadium on September 21 for this game. The Marlins were originally scheduled to host the Phillies that night - but agreed to move the game to another date in July to accommodate the Dolphins' return to Monday Night Football.
- A week 6 bye week isn't ideal - but it's better than last year when it was in week 4.
- That week 11 to week 16 stretch where the Dolphins play four out of five on the road is going to be tough - with their lone home game against the Patriots.
- No "cold weather" December games is certainly intriguing. Of course, having to play at the Meadowlands and then up in New England in back-to-back weeks to start November is a tough situation to be in.
- Note that the week 13 game between the Dolphins and Patriots in Miami that is currently scheduled as a Sunday Night game could be flexed out if NBC wishes.
Head coach Tony Sparano had this to say about the recently released schedule:
"With the NFL scheduling us for four prime-time games this season, it reflects the national following the Dolphins have built over time and it's indicative of the progress we've made in the last year. There certainly are some challenges. The schedule has several playoff teams from last year and conference opponents right at the top, so we need to be ready to go right from start, underlining the importance of our offseason program and training camp."