Last Update: April 2, 2013
With all the new traffic and the influx of new members it's once time again to go over the site rules so that we are all on the same page, which in turn makes for happy blogging for everyone or at least something along those lines. If you can think of any rules that might need to be added I am always open to suggestions. In fact any suggestions you have for the site can be sent to any of the editors at any time. My email address, like every site authors can be found via the masthead link on the right side of the front page, in the "About" link under the "More" dropdown on the nav bar, or at the bottom of the page.
These rules are in place for the obvious reason of keeping things running smoothly and of course keeping things civil among our many members. If you are new to the site this is a great reference and for the rest of us it might not hurt to brush up on the site rules from time to time.
As always, anytime you see a violation of the site rules or something that you find offensive please flag these items. Under each comment is a highlighted area that says actions. If you click that you can choose to "rec" the comment (recommend the comment to others) or "flag" the comment. If you select flag it will then give you a pop up box where you can explain why this comment was flagged. Only moderators can see these flags but they are a great help in picking up things that violate the rules given all the posts and comments that we must try and cover in any given day.
Flags do not always result in a warning, or even having the comment removed, but they bring something questionable to attention of the site moderators and are still greatly appreciated and an enormous help in keeping the site civil and an enjoyable place for everyone to visit. Again - no one sees that the comment (or post) has been flagged except for the four people with "moderator" permissions. It will truly help us keep this place the great community it is.
1. Treat everyone on the site with respect. This includes visiting bloggers from other sites. Do not assume that just because someone is a fan of another team that they are here to troll. Likewise please do not go to other sites to merely troll. The managing editor receives a report on every warning or ban that any of our site members receive. It does not look good on any of us when someone is slapped on the hand that has a Dolphins related screen name or avatar.
2. If you disagree with a point of view please address the point made and not the person. Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated! Remember everyone has a right to their own opinion. If you attack another blogger the concept of "he/she started it" does not apply. Flag it and move on. It's just the internet after all. Likewise, making a comment in a post to tell someone "it sucks," or any other insult, will be seen as a personal attack on the author, and won't be tolerated. Remember that not every post is going to be for everyone. If you don't dig what's being written about please just move on as there is always plenty of content on the site and something for everyone.
3. Please keep the threads on topic. The obvious exclusion are the open live threads and or CKC's (cool kid's club-see below). For the most part just friendly banter is not an issue and encouraged. Just try and avoid "hijacking" posts.
4. Please keep the swearing to a minimum. The occasional word here and there is one thing but please do not go from comment to comment or write a post dropping one word after another. This also applies to live game threads!
5. Please do not post picture after picture in any thread or from thread to thread indiscriminately. Keep picture posting to a minimum as we are a very large community and too many pictures do not only distract from the issues we are discussing but will slow down the load times for those on slower connections. If you have a lot of pictures you would like to share with us, especially if it is from a Dolphins game or event, please feel free to make your own Fan Past and place as many as you want in the body of that post.
6. When posting picture's please use common sense. Nudity, body paint, see through clothing, racist, hateful, sexist, or anything else with an offensive slant is strictly prohibited from being posted on the site. A good rule of thumb is if you would not show the picture to your grandmother then it probably does not belong here either. Always add a symbol or some sort of title in the title box of the photo posted so that it may be closed by others that may not want to look at what you posted.
7. NO discussions of politics or religion on the site. These discussions in general do more harm than good. A general conversation about world events will happen. Just do not turn it in to an us vs. them conversation as it applies to politics. This is the rule that seems to upset people the most but also one that we are very strict about. There are countless other blogs out there for discussions of anything including politics and/or religion.
8. Make all members welcome! It does not matter if you have been here for four years or just joined this morning. No one's opinion is more valid then the next person's. In fact it would be a nice gesture of those of us that have been here for some time go out of our way to welcome the new members to the site and offer our help with any questions that they may have.
9. There are a lot of jokes that go on between members here on the site. If you feel like you are being targeted or hassled too much, let us know and it will stop. If someone tells you to get off their back or to back off, respect that request. As always, if it bothers you email us and it will be addressed.
10. No posting of any links to illegal ways of watching NFL games! Also, no requesting of any links or hinting at the offer or request of such links. Automatic 2 week ban for those who don't follow this policy. The NFL is very strict on this stuff and we don't feel like having the blog shut down because others are posting illegal info. The NFL's legal department is very tough - trust me. This is a zero tolerance rule. If you break this, you are done. It will happen at some point this season. Don't let it be you. This rule has always stated NFL games but this applies to ANY links that would be construed as illegal.
11. Racist, sexist, homophobic or any other comment's that would be considered hate speech or otherwise offensive are strictly prohibited. Even if you think a term is harmless think long and hard before posting any comment that singled out any ethnic group or sexual orientation. This has recently become a huge issue. These kind of comments will most often result in a banning and at the very least will be followed by a warning.
12. Please remember that while this is a site primarily made up of men we do have some female Dolfans (and of course 808) on the site. This is a sports blog and while many of us have become friends via this site this is NOT a dating site. Please show these women the respect they are due. Any sexist comments made towards a female (or from a female to a male for that matter) poster will result in a warning or a ban even if the recipient is not offended by said comment.
13. Threats of any kind are prohibited and are grounds for an automatic ban.
14. Please keep typing in all caps to a minimum. To make the occasional statement is understandable but comment after comment after comment (or large comments) posted in all caps is not only annoying to other posters but all caps is looked at the same way as yelling and thus is considered rude behavior on the internet. Please also apply this rule to Fan Posts or Fan Shots in all bold letters. These will also result in a warning and will most likely just be removed from the site.
15. Spamming of any site on SBN is strictly prohibited. Spamming is the repeated posting of anything on a site from post to post. This most often takes the form of a link to another site but can be in the form of anything posted repeatedly. Not only will spamming of any type result in a ban but this is more often than not followed by a banning from any and all other SBN sites that you may be a member of whether or not you have spammed their site. Also the posting of the same comment or pic or anything over and over in numerous posts on the site will be considered spamming and result in a possible warning. If you post something in a couple of places nearly everyone here will see it as most members read everything. If it's that important perhaps consider making a Fan Shot or Fan Post out of it.
If you do something on the site that results in a warning do not take it personally. Most here have had one at one time or another. Often times it's simply a way for to send you a message and ask you to cool it before we have to take more severe actions. Likewise if you have an issue with a warning and feel that you must say something, please email us directly. We are always more than happy to discuss these with you. Coming to the site and posting angry comments is not the way to address something that you do not agree with. We do not want to lose readers or members but merely keep the site a place that everyone feels comfortable.
CKC aka Cool Kids Club-A late night open thread that is posted after 10PM EST and then taken down early the next morning by the site mods. These posts tend to be a little more loose then a regular thread and any subject within reason is open for discussion. As always please use common sense when posting, CKC or not. All rules still apply including the one on personal attacks and posting of nudity.