As we all know, there are always connections between two teams. From players that were traded to free agent signings and coaches working their way to new franchises, there are always players who worked together or coaches who are from the same tree, but are now on opposite sidelines. Today, we take a look at the connections between the Miami Dolphins and the Indianapolis Colts as the two teams prepare to meet tomorrow.
Former NFL Teams:
- Colt assistant special teams coach Brant Boyer played linebacker for the Dolphins in 1994
- Colts cornerback Vontae Davis played for the Dolphins from 2009-2011
- Dolphins assistant special teams coach Marwan Maalouf was the Colts' special teams coordinator in 2012
- Colts center Samson Satele played for the Dolphins from 2007-2008
- Colts guard Donald Thomas played for the Dolphins from 2008-2009
- Colts linebacker Erik Walden played for the Dolphins from 2008-2010
- Dolphins linebacker Philip Wheeler played for the Colts from 2008-2011
Former NFL Teammates:
- Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle and Colts offensive lineman Mike McGlynn were together with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2011. Coyle and Colts linebackers coach Jeff Fitzgerald were both coaches with the Bengals from 2008-2011.
- Dolphins linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and Colts defensive end Cory Redding were teammates with the Baltimore Ravens from 2010-2011. Colts wide receiver David Reed was Ellerbe's teammates with those Ravens from 2010-2012 while Colts safeties coach Roy Anderson was with the Ravens from 2009-2011.
- Colts cornerback Josh Gordy and Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Gibson were teammates with the St. Louis Rams in 2011
- Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck and Dolphins offensive coordinator were together with the Green Bay Packers in 2000
- Colts fullback Stantley Havili and Dolphins guard Danny Watkins were teammates with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2012. Watkins and Colts strength and conditioning coach Roger Marandino were together with the Eagles in 2011.
- Dolphins strength and conditioning coach Darren Krein and Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck were together with the Seattle Seahawks from 2001-2009. Colts defensive end Cory Redding was also with the team in 2009.
- Dolphins defensive tackle Vaughn Martin, Colts defensive tackle Aubrayo Fanklin, and Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky were all together with the San Diego Chargers in 2012. Colts assistant offensive line coach Hal Hunter and Martin were with the Chargers from 2009-2012.
- Colts special teams coordinator Tom McMahon and Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Gibson were together with the St. Louis Rams from 2009-2011. Dolphins guard Richie Incognito also was with the Rams in for a portion of the 2009 season.
- Dolphins quarterback Matt Moore and Colts secondary coack Mike Gillhammer were together with the Carolina Panthers from 2007-2010
- Dolphins cornerback Dimitri Patterson and Colts offensive lineman Mike McGlynn were teammates with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2008-2010. Patterson and Colts linebacker Erik Walden were teammates with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2008.
- Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin and Colts linebacker Erik Walden were together with the Green Bay Packers in 2010-2011.
- Dolphins tackle Will Yeatman, Colts free safety Sergio Brown, and Colts guard Donald Thomas were all teammates during the New England Patriots' training camp in 2011
- Dolphins linebacker Philip Wheeler and Colts wide receiver Darius Heyward-Bey were teammates with the Oakland Raiders in 2012
Former College Teammates:
- Dolphins defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo and Colts defensive line coach Gary Emanuel coached together at Syracuse in 1991
- Colts quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen and Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle were coaches together at Holy Cross from 1989-1990
- Dolphins tackle Tyson Clabo and Colts defensive quality control coach Brad White (linebacker) were teammates at Wake Forest from 2002-2004
- Dolphins safety Chris Clemons, Colts linebacker Kavell Conner, and Colts tight end Dwayne Allen were teammates at Clemson in 2008
- Dolphins linebacker Jonathan Freeny and Colts safety Joe Lefeged were teammates at Rutgers from 2007-2010
- Colts wide receiver Darius Heyward-Bey and Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll were teammates at Maryland from 2006-2008
- Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin, , Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, Colts tight end Coby Fleener, Colts safety Delano Howell, and Colts wide receiver Griff Whalen were all teammates at Stanford from 2008-2011
- Colts wide receiver David Reed, Dolphins linebacker Koa Misi, Dolphins defensive end Derrick Shelby, and Dolphins cornerback R.J. Stanford were all teammates at Utah from 2008-2009
- Colts cornerback Cassius Vaughn, Dolphins wide receiver Mike Wallace, and Dolphins guard John Jerry were all teammates at Mississippi from 2006-2009
College or Hometown State Ties:
- Colts CB Darius Butler is from Tamarac, Florida
- Colts defensive tackle Ricky Jean Francois is from Miami, Florida
- Colts offensive quality control coach Frank Giufre coached at the University of Miami from 2001-2003
- Colts wide receiver T.Y. Hilton is from Miami, Florida. He played at Florida International from 2008-2011
- Colts defensive tackle Ricardo Mathews is from Jacksonville, Florida
- Colts Head Coach Chuck Pagano served as an graduate assistant in 1986 and an assistant coach for the University of Miami from 1995-2000
- Colts wide receivers coach Charlie Williams coached at the University of Miami from 1993-1995
More Dolphins Coverage:
Join the discussion: Sign up for your free Phinsider and SB Nation account