The 12th practice of the Miami Dolphins' 2013 training camp was yesterday. Here's a look at what happened throughout the day.
- Ryan Tannehill came back from Tuesday's three interception performance on Wednesday and played fairly well. It was not anything special, but he was able to find the endzone a few times, including a 40-yard pass to Mike Wallace. He did have an interception on a pass where Dimitri Patterson undercut Brandon Gibson, as well. It was not a great day, but it was not a horrible day like Tuesday.
- Backup quarterback Matt Moore had a bad practice. Omar Kelly tweeted that it appears Moore's arm is tired. He did end up with a touchdown pass to Michael Egnew on the day, but was repeatedly short hopping the ball to receivers.
- Wallace was back and a full participant in practice on Wednesday. He had the highlight moment with Tannehill on the long pass, and the first team offense spent a lot of time working on the passing game, using Wallace and Brian Hartline for the first time together since the very beginning of camp.
- Dallas Thomas, who had a miserable Sunday night in the Hall of Fame Game, was mvoed from left tackle to right tackle Wednesday. He's also played left guard so far this camp as the Dolphins try to find the right position for their third round pick.
- Besides spending a lot of the team drills working on passing, the running backs and Tannehill spent time early in practice simply working on handoffs. The first play of the Hall of Fame Game featured a fumbled exchange between Tannehill and starting running back Lamar Miller.
- Jonas Gray had a good practice, getting work with the first team offense. Daniel Thomas also saw time as the starter when Miller had to have his ankle re-taped.
- Another fight broke out during the practice, with Richie Incognito and Tracy Robertson scuffling briefly before the team separated them.
- Chris Clemons tallied two interceptions while Patteron had the one pick. Other than that, it was a fairly quiet day for the defense, with a couple of sacks or passes defensed, but nothing overly noteworthy.
- Kicking update: Caleb Sturgis had a great day Wednesday, connecting from 45, 46, 47, and 54 yards. According to the Palm Beach Post's Hal Habib, the 45-yarder landed on the scissor lift behind the uprights, 2-1/2 stories up. That's a good kick.
- Several players returned to practice on Wednesday, including Mike Wallace, Jared Odrick, Pat Devlin
- Lamar Miller took part in practice, despite receiving an ankle injury late in Tuesday's practice. His ankle was heavily taped, and he was noticeably limping but he was out there. At one point he had to have the ankle re-taped.
- Josh Samuda, who was in and out of practice Tuesday, worked out on Wednesday, but had a compression sleeve on his knee.
- Jorvorskie Lane sat out practice.
- Randy Starks was again absent from practice, as was Kyle Miller. Both were likely in the training facility receiving treatment on their respective injuries.
- Rishard Matthews, John Jerry, Rishard Matthews, and Jamar Taylor were all members of the sideline gang.
Press Conference Quotes
- "Obviously nobody in the building or the organization is happy with the way we tackled starting with me. But we've addressed it, we've drilled it already and we will continue to do so." - Joe Philbin on the Dolphins' tackling during the Hall of Fame Game
- "We aren't settled on it. We really aren't settled on anything there really at all. But we've like what Josh has done. We like the way he plays the game. I like the way he practices." - Joe Philbin on Josh Samuda potentially being the starting right guard
- "Yeah, he's had some very good practices during the last couple of weeks. Been very productive getting his hands on a number of balls, really has very good ball skills and its translating into his play out on the practice field. Like a lot of the guys it was his first opportunity to play in a game like setting the other night. We believe he's going to keep progressing, we're excited about his future here with us." - Kevin Coyle on Will Davis
- "We were pleased with Dion, he got his first opportunities to come in, in a limited fashion as we had planned coming into the game. We are still very careful about how we are bringing him along. He got in and he got pressure on the quarterback got good push on the pocket. He helped Derrick Shelby on one of Derrick's sacks, Dion actually forced the quarterback back up into the pocket and as a result we came up with the sack. We are very pleased with his progress, he has to continue to get more reps as we go down the line here." - Kevin Coyle on Dion Jordan
- "Really pleased with Derrick, Derrick's a very sound, very technically efficient player, but I see more production out of Derrick, stating the other night. He's always a guy that you can count on the be in the right place, he's very dependable, yet we saw that playmaking ability the other night and we've seen it throughout training camp. He's been difficult to block, he's gotten more pressure on the quarterback, he's been the guy that we feel very pleased with at this point in camp and he's made a lot of progress." - Kevin Coyle on Derrick Shelby
Next Public Practice
- Sunday, August 11, 1:00pm ET (Rookie Season Ticket Members Only) - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie
- Monday, August 12, 8:00am ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie
More Dolphins Coverage:
- Dolphins Training Camp 2013: Practice 12 Recap
- Dolphins at Jaguars: Jacksonville early favorites
- Dolphins at Jaguars: Jacksonville depth chart
- Miami vs Dallas Hall of Fame Game Photo Gallery
- Hall of Fame Game tape analysis of Jonathan Martin
- Miami Dolphins bubble players who could break out