The eleventh practice (day 13) of the Miami Dolphins' 2013 training camp was yesterday. Here's a look at what happened throughout the day.
- The Dolphins practiced in full pads on Friday.
- Overall, the practice was probably the sloppiest of training camp, with multiple dropped passes from receivers, running backs, tight ends, and defensive backs. The team also had problems with kickoff returns with multiple balls hitting the ground there as well.
- Offensive line update: The starting offensive line returned to its expected lineup, with the exception of Josh Samuda holding down the right guard slot. Looks like he could be the new starter.
- As much of a concern Jonathan Martin has been already in training camp, he had a solid day on Friday, not giving up a sack for the first time. It's just one practice, but at least it happened. He has also looked good in run blocking, and in moving to the second level to clear a path. He will be the number one player to watch during Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game.
- Kicking update: Caleb Sturgis returned to kicking Friday, after missing several days due to a groin injury. He kicked multiple balls from beyond 50 yards without a line early in practice, then moved to the near field and kicked with the team. He connected from 47-, 44-, and 52-yards.
- Mike Wallace continues to be sidelined with a groin injury. He conducted rehab work on the sidelines Friday.
- Brian Hartline dressed for practice, but was limited to a few reps of position drills.
- Cameron Marshall, John Jerry, Rishard Matthews continue to sit out the workouts. Jerry is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, while Matthews is said to be out for "several weeks."
- Jared Odrick and Randy Starks were both held out of practice. Starks was not on the field conducting rehab work, meaning he was likely in the trainer's office getting treatment. Never a good sign.
Press Conference Quotes
- "Yea, we're going to go there, we're going to arrive in Canton, and we're going to go through the Hall of Fame and get a tour of that. I'm really looking forward to it, I've heard they've done some things since I've last been there so it'll be good for them." - Joe Philbin on the team's plans once they arrive Saturday in Canton
- "He's having a consistent camp that's one of the objectives we set out in front of him, we want to see consistency. I think he stepped up and has been aggressive in pass protection, he hasn't been sitting back and being as tentative I think at times as he was last year, and he had the one fumble early on in the padded segment of practice, other than that I think his ball security has been good. He had a nice run out there today. I think he's protecting the ball better, and now, he's had a very good camp, and now he has to carry that over to the games." - Joe Philbin on Daniel Thomas
- "You guys were here yesterday, OV (Olivier Vernon) got him a couple times yesterday. Once outside, once inside on a run action pass. I think he's done a good job in drop back I think his sets have been good. The thing an offensive lineman consistently has to work on is the timing of the punch, kind of like a boxer it's more like a jab. That consistency in the punch is one that we need him to continue to work on." - Joe Philbin on Jonathan Martin
- "Yeah, we should be. And, you know me, I'm one of those guys on paper doesn't do anything. Papers have never won a game. It's not one of those things where just because we have some All-Pros, Pro Bowlers and first-rounder's, now we can just throw our hat in the ring and everyone wins. We have to go out there and show it." - Cameron Wake on if the defensive line should be one of the best in the NFL
- "I was going to tell some of the young guys, you know what, this is literally a job interview. What you do out here, it's football but these are your own teammates. There are certain levels of professional courtesy we apply to one another while playing. That doesn't really apply on Sunday. You know, just going out there knowing what you have to do, playing fast, playing hard and getting your job done, whatever your job is. Every guy from the first guy on the roster to the last guy has to go out there and show what he can do." - Cameron Wake on what the team needs to do during the Hall of Fame Game
Next Public Practice
- Tuesday, August 6 11am ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie