The 16th practice of the Miami Dolphins' 2013 training camp was yesterday. Here's a look at what happened throughout the day.
- Ryan Tannehill was strong again on Wednesday, making several throws across the middle, and a deep ball to Mike Wallace for nearly 50 yards. He also found Dustin Keller on a 45 yard touchdown pass.
- The Dolphins got good news and bad news for the offensive line yesterday. The good news was the return of John Jerry, who was limited in practice, but was at least at practice. The bad news is in the injury section.
- Running back Lamar Miller spent time working out of the slot on Wednesday. The Dolphins have stressed versatility among playmakers this year, moving wide receivers Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, and Brandon Gibson all over the line of scrimmage. Adding Miller to the players able to change positions without the need to substitute makes a lot of sense.
- The downplaying of the fullback position continued yesterday, with Charles Clay working as the primary lead blocked in goal line situations. Things are not looking good for Jorvorskie Lane and Evan Rodriguez.
- As was noted during the Jaguars game Friday night, Koa Misi has been spending time playing defensive end, lining up in a three point stance. He continued that with work there on Wednesday.
- Kicking battle: It's not a battle anymore. Sturgis kicked on Wednesday, going 3-for-4 on the day, missing a 57-yarder. After the workout, the Dolphins released incumbent kicker Dan Carpenter.
- The bad news for the offensive line involved Nate Garner. The utility reserve, who was set to get his opportunity to claim the starting right guard position injured his shoulder on Monday and, according to Barry Jacksonhe could be out 2-3 weeks after having arthroscopic surgery.
- Quarterback Pat Devlin did not practice. He injured his calf during the Hall of Fame Game against the Dallas Cowboys and, despite playing against the Jacksonville Jaguars, it may be a little more serious than originally thought. The team re-signed Aaron Corp to fill in while Devlin rehabs.
- Dion Jordan continued his new habit of dressing, warming up with the team, then heading inside for rehab work. Things around Jordan still do not seem serious, and he will likely be ready to go for Week 1 of the season, but don't be surprised if, with the limited practice action this week, Jordan sits out against the Texans on Saturday.
- Randy Starks continues to miss practice.
Press Conference Quotes
- "Absolutely. At times, sure." - Joe Philbin on if he has to protect players from themselves
- "He's played well in two games. He's going against some very good guys on a daily basis, and he's holding his own. He's doing well." - Joe Philbin on Jonathan Martin
- "I would say at least the first quarter, for the most part. Sometimes that could change based on possessions and who has the ball a lot or doesn't. I would think it would be around there." - Joe Philbin on how much the starters will play against the Houston Texans
Next Public Practice
- Thursday, August 15, 8:00am ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie - Final public practice of training camp