The sixth day of the Miami Dolphins' 2013 training camp was yesterday, with the team holding their fifth practice. Here's a look at what happened throughout the day.
- Friday's practice was the best one of the year so far for quarterback Ryan Tannehill. For the second straight practice, Tannehill threw no interceptions, and he was crisp and decisive on Friday. As usual right now, it comes with the caveat that it was one practice early in training camp, but at least it happened.
- Tannehill looking sharp also led to he and wide receiver Mike Wallace connecting better. The two had a few completions each practice, primarily on out patterns and slants. On Friday, the patters were getting longer, and the two seemed to be starting to find the chemistry they will need for the season. They are still a long way from being ready for the regular season, but they are progressing.
- Besides Tannehill, the offensive line was the story of the day for Friday. The coaches began tinkering with the lineup, specifically the guard position. John Jerry was held out of practice yesterday, with the team rotating rookie Dallas Thomas and Pro Bowler Richie Incognito as both the left and right guards. The team used Thomas on the left and Incognito on the right the most, so it will be interesting to see if they continue to experiment with the guards over the next few practices.
- Several passes were dropped throughout the practice. Whatever the reason, the drops seems contagious as everyone seemed to be involved.
- On defense, third overall pick Dion Jordan conducted his first contact drills. The team practiced without pads, so the hitting was limited, but he was out there during one-on-one drills, working against the offensive line. It's another step toward Jordan being fully involved in practice.
- Defensive tackle Vaughn Martin has been working solely at defensive end so far in camp. He worked with the starting defensive line on Friday.
- Kicking update: Dan Carpenter's turn yesterday. He missed two field goals, one from 50 yards and one from 52 yards, and hit on a 50 yarder.
- After practice, the quarterbacks and receivers stayed on the field for a little while, running deep routes.
- Jamar Taylor continues to sit out with assumed issues in his rehab from sports hernia surgery this offseason.
- Cameron Marshall, who pulled up during practice on Wednesday and grabbed his hamstring, also sat out practice.
- John Jerry did not participate in practice on Friday due to an undisclosed injury.
- Reports on Friday indicated kicker Caleb Sturgis is dealing with a groin injury. He spent the day on the exercise bike, and it could be a part of why he has missed kicks and had fewer kicks than Dan Carpenter so far in camp.
Press Conference Quotes
- "I like the Dolphins' defense. I believe the defense is going to be tough to deal with and could be the best in the division and that's going to help them. They've got, I believe, one of the good, young quarterbacks in the NFL. They've got that equation solved.Offensive line - that's the only real question mark I would say as far as the Dolphins on offense are concerned." - Hall of Fame inductee and former Dolphins wide receiver Cris Carter
- Joe Philbin discussed the rotation of offensive linemen
- "There is a lot of football left before September 8, and we have five preseason games. There are going to be opportunities for all of the running backs to carry the football. We are going to see how it all shakes out." - Joe Philbin on if Lamar Miller is leading the running back competition
- "I mean it feels really good man. Anytime I get to go out there and compete with the guys...I feel like I'm getting better. It's been a couple months before I've been able to come out here and get some work, some actual football work. It was great, and I'm just trying to improve and do whatever I have to do so I can get out here and help this team." - Dion Jordan on having contact for the first time
- "No, we're in the league now, and he knows he never beat us, so we're alright." - Dannell Ellerbe on if his going to Georgia and Philip Wheeler playing at Georgia Tech causes an issues now
- "No, we are all kind of grouping together trying to lead this thing together. There is no one man higher than the other guy, and that's another thing that I like about this defense." - Dannell Ellerbe on if any Dolphins player has taken to mentoring him
- "I'm just trying to learn everything really, taking it day-by-day and just learning each position, because nothing is set in stone for me right now, and they just want me to work at everything, to try and learn the whole offense." - Dallas Thomas on the switch from tackle to guard
- "It was just lining up with the guys, they're all professionals and know what they're doing, so I just wanted to make sure I knew everything, so it wouldn't slow those guys down. So they didn't have to worry about having to carry the rookie along, just knowing what I was doing on each play and stuff so they wouldn't have to worry about me." - Dallas Thomas on if he was more nervous to line up with the first time or go up against the defensive line
- "Yeah, they said just relax, we got you, we're going to help you, make sure you know what your doing so you don't have to worry about too much." - Dallas Thomas on what the veterans on the offensive line told him when he moved up to the first team
Next Public Practice
- Season Ticket Holders Only: Saturday, July 27 at 8am ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie
- Fin Club Members Only: Sunday, July 28 at 8am ET - Doctors Hospital Training Facility, Nova Southeastern University, Davie
- Monday, July 29 at 7pm ET - Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens