The Miami Dolphins opened the final Organized Team Activity of the 2013 offseason yesterday. Each team is allowed 10 days of OTA workouts during the offseason. Miami held one three day set during each of the last two weeks, with a final four days of practice this week. Yesterday also marked the one day this week the media was allowed to visit. Here's a look at what happened:
- Mike Wallace was at the OTA this week. He missed the media covered OTA day last week with a family emergency.
- Utility offensive lineman Nate Garner has been working all over the line this offseason, including work at center yesterday.
- Pro Bowl and franchise tagged defensive tackle Randy Starks continues to sit out the OTAs as he shows his displeasure with the tag. In his place, Jared Odrick continues to slide inside as the starting defensive tackle.
- Dannell Ellerbe was not at practice after his flight back to Miami from his home in North Carolina was canceled Sunday night. Austin Spitler moved into the starting middle linebacker position with Ellrbe out.
- The starting cornerbacks throughout OTAs seem to be Brent Grimes and Richard Marshall, with Dimitri Patterson and Nolan Carroll the second string. Second round pick Jamar Taylor continues to rehab following sports hernia surgery. It will be interesting to see where he fits in once he is cleared to practice.
- Also doing rehab work on the sideline is guard Lance Louis, who tore an ACL during the season last year.
- Quarterback Ryan Tannehill continues to get noticed for his decision making, and not being afraid to throw the ball away.
- The nickel corner seems to be Jimmy Wilson at this point, despite the team trying to move him to safety last year.
- Third round draft pick, offensive lineman Dallas Thomas practiced today after doing rehab work each of the last two weeks. Dallas Thomas had shoulder surgery after the college football season and has been working on the sidelines since being drafted.
- Seventh round draft pick Don Jones, who the team had stated they wanted to try at cornerback, was working as a safety yesterday.
- Punt returner will be a fun position to watch, with Marcus Thigpen, Lamar Miller, Brian Hartline, and Brandon Gibson all working at the spot.
- Will Yeatman, who was working as a guard last week, moved back to tackle yesterday, serving as the second string left tackle behind Jonathan Martin.
- Tight end Michael Egnew, who struggled last year, continues to improve.
- Yesterday's guest coach was former Dolphins defensive lineman David Bowens.
- Omar Kelly's top performers on the day were:
Drum roll please.....top OTA performers for today were 1. Brian Hartline (consistency every session). 2. FS Chris Clemons 3. WR Chad Bumphis— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) June 3, 2013