Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
The NFL is entering day three of the 2013 NFL Free Agency Period. As we get ready for what could be a busy day as teams start to look for value signings over the big name, big money deals, here's an update of the Dolphins' needs.
The Miami Dolphins made a splash on day one of free agency, signing wide receiver Mike Wallace and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler, re-signing safety Chris Clemons, and releasing linebackers Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett. On day two, they met with tight end Dustin Keller, and will likely offer him a contract sometime today.
What do all these moves mean for the Dolphins' needs during this offseason? Below is an updated listing:
- Defensive End (Previously: 2): Nothing has changed with the defensive end positions in Miami. Well, maybe something has changed. The rumor floating around right now is that linebacker Koa Misi could move into his college position of defensive end. Either way, the Dolphins need to add a complimentary pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. It's really looking more and more likely that defensive end will be addressed in the draft for this position. Adding someone who comes fairly cheaply and is a "pass rush specialist" could happen.Possible Targets: Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, Matt Shaughnessy
- Tight End (Previously: 3): Two days ago, I wrote "Anthony Fasano is a free agent, but, unless something massive happens in the next few days, I would expect him back." Somethign major happened and Fasano was an opening bell signing by the Kansas City Chiefs. With Fasano no longer an option, this position suddenly becomes an even bigger need for the Dolphins. Signing Dustin Keller would be a good start. Possible Targets: Dustin Keller, Dennis Pitta (RFA)
- Cornerback (No Change): Previously, it was assumed that the Dolphins would be looking for a replacement for Sean Smith, who was the hottest free agent prospect out there. Now, it's looking like Smith could be returning to Miami if a market for him does not materialize soon. With or without Smith, this position remains a key need for Miami this offseason. The team will most likely draft a cornerback in April, pairing the rookie with a free agent siging. That could be Smith, it could be someone else. Possible Targets:
Sean Smith, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Marcus Trufant, Cary Williams
- Offensive Lineman (Previously: 4): Jake Long is in St. Louis right now talking to the Ramsm after taking possibly the longest physical in recorded history. However, the Dolphins have not given up on the chase yet, and the door has not been closed by Long either. It's possible he still returns to Miami. If not, the team will likely bring in Eric Winston, who seems to be sitting on the sidelines waiting right now. Possible Targets: Jake Long, Eric Winston, Deuce Lutui
- Wide Receiver (Previously: 1): After the signing of Wallace, the need for a wide receiver drops down the list, but is not completely gone. The team is planning to meet with Brandon Gibson today, and could still address the position in the draft. They most likely won't do much more shopping here this free agency period, but no one saw them completely changing the linebackers either. Possible Targets: Brandon Gibson
- Running Back (No Change): Running back is still a possibility, but it probably could come off the list as well. The team needs to consider adding someone to provide depth, and push Daniel Thomas. Possible Targets: Michael Turner, Kevin Smith, Ronnie Brown,