With the 2013 NFL season reaching the midway point, SB Nation took a look back at the first half of the season through the idea of midseason awards. Asking each of the NFL blogs to vote for the awards, they posted the results over on SBNation.com. Below you will see a quick run down of the results, as well as my vote, and my selection for the same award on the Miami Dolphins through their first eight games.
- SB Nation award: Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos quarterback
- My vote: Peyton Manning
- Dolphins award: Brandon Gibson, wide receiver
Ryan Tannehill and Charles Clay definitely are in consideration for this award, and you could make the argument that either deserves it. However, Brandon Gibson has been a beast through the first half of the season for the Dolphins, and was exactly what you would want out of the slot. Unfortunately, he won't be the winner of the award at the end of the year, thanks to a torn patella tendon.
- SB Nation award: Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker
- My vote: Mario Williams, Buffalo Bills
- Dolphins award: Brent Grimes, cornerback
If you tell me I am wrong, it's clearly Cameron Wake, I won't argue. However, I will give the nod to Grimes at this point because of the missed time for Wake (and for my other consideration, Dimitri Patterson). Even if he's not picking off passes, Grimes has been effective against the pass simply by being on the field. Most quarterbacks have tried to stay away from the Dolphins top secondary member, meaning he may not get the stats, but he's making an impact.
Coach of the Year:
- SB Nation award: Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs head coach
- My vote: Andy Reid
- Dolphins award: Kevin Coyle, defensive coordinator
The defense may not be playing up to the high preseason expectations, but there's no denying that Coyle's presence has helped the Dolphins - specifically in the takeaway department. The Miami defense seems to be getting better each week, especially now that they are getting healthy, which should mean the takeaways continue to increase. There have been questions at times, blitzing in strange times and poor tackling, but the defense is keeping Miami in the game each week, giving the offense a chance to win.
Rookie of the Year:
- SB Nation award: Kiko Alonso, Buffalo Bills linebacker
- My vote: Star Lotulelei, Carolina Panthers defensive tackle
- Dolphins award: Dion Sims, tight end
Obviously, the most impactful rookie at this point has been kicker Caleb Sturgis, but I'm going to give the nod to Dion Sims. I like how the rookie has been playing, working his way into two tight end sets and blocking well. He's still making rookie mistakes at times, but Sims has been a solid edition to the Dolphins so far this year.
- SB Nation: Denver Broncos vs Seattle Seahawks - Tie on winner
- My vote: Broncos beat Sehawks
Miami Dolphins Coverage:
Join the discussion: Sign up for your free Phinsider and SB Nation account