Richard Mackson-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
The NFL announced a list of 127 preliminary nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013. The list includes 13 first year eligible nominees, and nine nominees with Miami Dolphins ties.
The NFL has announced the 127 preliminary nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2013. The list, which features 89 players, 14 coaches, and 24 contributors, will be pared down to 25 semi-finalists by the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee in Novemeber. Then 15 finalists will be selected by a mail-in-vote in January. The Class of 2013 will then be selected from the 15 modern-era finalists, as well as two nominees from the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee (defensive tackle Curley Culp and linebacker Dave Robinson).
The final vote will take place on February 2, 2013, the day before Super Bowl XLVII. The names of the Class of 2013 inductees will be released at a live announcement show following the election.
The 13 first time nominees are defensive tackle Sam Adams, guard Larry Allen, kicker Morten Andersen, running back Priest Holmes, safety John Lynch, wide receiver Keenan McCardell, quarterback Steve McNair, center Tom Nalen, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive end Michael Strahan, defensive tackle Ted Washington, and defensive Bryant Young.
Several of the initial nominees have ties to the Miami Dolphins:
- Ron Jaworski, Quarterback - Played one season (1988) with the Dolphins
- Cris Carter, Wide Receiver - Played one season (2002) with the Dolphins
- Mark Clayton, Wide Receiver - Played ten seasons (1983-1992) with the Dolphins
- Troy Vincent, Cornerback - Played four seasons (1992-1995) with the Dolphins
- Bill Arnsparger, Coach - Defensive coordinator and Assistant Head Coach for 12 years (1970-1973, 1976-1983) with the Dolphins
- Doug Bevlins, Coach - Special Teams Coach for seven years (1997-2003) with the Dolphins
- Jimmy Johnson, Coach - Head Coach for four years (1996-1999) with the Dolphins
- Bobby Beathard, Administrator - Director of Player Personnel for six years (1972-1977) with the Dolphins
- George Young, Administrator - Director of Pro Scouting for four years (1975-1978) with the Dolphins; past finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Bill Parcells is also a nominee, and past finalist, for the Hall of Fame, but he is nominated as a coach, which does not include his stint as an executive with the Dolphins.
You can find the full list of nominees on the Pro Football Hall of Fame website.