Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin was the star of the first episode of this year's Hard Knocks.
The Miami Dolphins debut episode of HBO's Hard Knocks just concluded and it's time to take a look back at some of the key moments.Overall, the show was a lot of fun, just so we can actually see the Dolphins.
Here are just some of the immediate thoughts I had during the show:
Stars of the show:
- Head coach Joe Philbin
- Wide receiver Chad Johnson
Storyline most seen:
- Quarterback competition
Storyline surprisingly not seen:
- Safety battle
- Chad Johnson trying to join the personnel meeting
Best quotes of the show:
- "Last year, I took a year off to let everyone else have a chance to catch up." - Chad Johnson
- "If you pause Call of Duty for someone, that's the f***ing one." - Chad Johnson
- "I haven't worn deodorant yet this camp." - Jared Odrick
Best comment in the live thread:
- "if this were aired in real time, i'd probably be stressed out" - afmo
- Vonate Davis - gave us a better look into exactly what the problem with Vontae Davis is. Davis is simply still immature. The coaches said it, he isn't giving his full effort. Sean Smith has taken the next step, maturing into his roll. If Davis doesn't step it up soon, he may not be able to reclaim his roster spot.
- Les Brown - I really hope Brown can at least make the practice squad. He doesn't give up. He doesn't stop. He knows what he has to work on, and he continually goes. I like him.
- Reggie Bush - From the preview of next week, it looks like Bush should have a bigger role in the show. The coaches said it during the show, Reggie is having a better camp this year than last. That could be a great thing for the Dolphins.
- Joe Philbin explaining the depth chart decision to the QBs. That was a great moment, and he clearly told them that it's an NFL technicality, and they should not read anything more into it than it being a snapshot in time. Odd thing in the QB meeting/film room - Pat Devlin is always off camera.
Your turn. What did you see? What did you hope to see that you didn't? Let us know in the comments below.