Miami Dolphins running back Marcus Thigpen has made his way onto the 53-man roster projection due to his work as a retuner.
The Miami Dolphins are scheduled to play their final game of the 2012 preseason Wednesday. The game will be a critical one for many Miami players, as the final 53-man roster is just two days after the game. This will be the last chance for some of the bubble players to impress the coaches and make the roster.
More importantly, maybe, is this will be the final chance for any one of the wide receivers to actually show up. The Dolphins are clearly weak at the receiver position, so expect plenty of passing Wednesday night, and the wide receivers to all get plenty of reps, and chances, to step up and claim a roster slot.
Here is my current projection for the 53-man roster.
Fullback (1): Jorvorskie Lane
TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: 27
TOTAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: 23
Kicker (1): Dan Carpenter
Punter (1): Brandon Fields
Long Snapper (1): John Denney
TOTAL SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS: 3
- RBs - With the Dolphins use of Marcus Thigpen as the primary kick returner lately, it looks like he is going to make the roster. The only way I can see that happen is to release Steve Slaton.
- WRs - I was completely disappointed with Legedu Naanee this past week. He seems to have zero chemistry with Tannehill, and he struggled throughout the Carolina game. Is it enough to cut him, maybe not. But, if the Dolphins are going to get bad receiver play, why not keep someone who has shown a lot of potential in training camp, and just needs time to refine his skills, meaning I have Naanee off the roster and Hogan making.
- O-Line - Lydon Murtha fell off the roster this week, because I have a feeling he will spend his second straight season on injured reserve. Murtha has, reportedly, reinjured the foot that required surgery last year, and he is in danger of having to be shut down again. With him going, the dorr opens for Andrew McDonald, Will Barker, and Yeatman. I picked Yeatman out of the group because the coaching staff seems to like the former tight end, putting in the work to transition him from TE to tackle. I would not be shocked if it was Barker who made it instead. Artis Hicks could be another guy in danger of landing on injured reserve - which would open a roster spot for Ray Feinga.
- Linebacker - After adding rookie Josh Kaddu to the 53-man roster last week, I dropped him off this week.
- Practive Squad - This is probably the area with the most change this week. Wide receiver Chris Hogan was bumped onto the 53-man roster, tight end Les Brown was released by the team, along with running back Jerome Messand and defensive tackle Chad Alecxih. While any of those three could be brought back to the practice squad, the fact that they were in the first round of cuts doesn'tmake things look good for them. - WR B.J. Cunninghan, WR Rishard Matthews, OT Andrew McDonald, RB/FB Jerome Messam, DT Isaako Aaitui, LB Josh Kaddu, CB Vincent Agnew, S Anderson Russell