Earlier today, we looked at the current depth chart for the Miami Dolphins heading into this Friday's "dress rehearsal" preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons. The Dolphins are closing in on the first round of preseason cuts (August 28), taking the team rosters down from 90 players to 80. The Dolphins are one cut ahead of the schedule right now, having released fullback Ryan Mahaffey earlier this week.
The league's deadline to reach the 53-man roster is September 2. Of course, a lot can change between now and then, with injuries and free agent signings still to happen, but here is my prediction of the 53-man roster based on the players currently with the Dolphins.
Fullback (1): Jorvorskie Lane
TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYERS: 27
TOTAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS: 23
Kicker (1): Dan Carpenter
Punter (1): Brandon Fields
Long Snapper (1): John Denney
TOTAL SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS: 3
- QB - With Tannehill the starter, the Dolphins will most likely keep just one of the veteran quarterbacks. I think the team could look to trade Moore if David Garrard is healthy, but that's not the case right now. I think the Dolphins will find an injury settlement solution to buy out Garrard's contract.
- WRs - I finally have given up on the seven wide receivers concept, meaning Clyde Gates lost his slot. The team has Fuller listed as the sixth wide receiver on their depth chart right now, so I am not going to argue with that arrangement, although it does mean I have to skip over Marlon Moore - but I'm okay with that at this point.
- O-Line - Jerry is looking like he might be starting this Friday with Hicks dealing with injury. The team seems to be finding a role for him in short-distance downs, and is developing him into other parts of the offense. Somehow, Jerry may have gone from one of the guaranteed cuts this year to making the roster.
- Linebacker - I don't know why I swapped out Austin Spitler for Kaddu at this point, but something has me thinking he is going to sneak onto the 53 man roster.
- D-Line/Secondary - I really don't like only having 8 defensive lineman, or only having 9 secondary players, but I don't know where to pull the extra man. Word was earlier this training camp, Jason Trusnik was working as a long snapper, so if he has shown he could hold the position, Denney could lose his position, but I don't see that happening. I just don't know where to pick up the additional bodies for the d-line and/or secondary.
- Practive Squad - WR B.J. Cunninghan, WR Chris Hogan, TE Les Brown, OT Andrew McDonald, RB/FB Jerome Messam, DT Chad Alecxih, CB Vincent Agnew, S Anderson Russell