The first preseason game is wrapped up which means it is time to present the FIRST week of the Dolphins Roster Tracker. The game itself was ugly at times, but it did give us a chance to get our first glimpse of potential starters, reserves, and members of the squad that are battling for a roster spot. For a full description of the idea of this post, view the The 2012 Miami Dolphins Off-season Roster Tracker:INTRO.
The players will be separated in the following categories after the jump:
- BLUE CHIP- The cream of the crop; these guys are within the best 10 players at their position in the entire NFL. Pro-bowl caliber players who would be elite performers on any NFL roster.
- RED CHIP- These are your studs. Typically the play-makers on your team who are in the TOP 15 players at their position in the entire NFL. These guys can easily make the pro-bowl with a good season, and would be starters on almost EVERY team in the league.
- UPPER ECHELON- this group is made up of solid players who are made of consistent veterans or young guys who can easily be the future and turn into a RED or BLUE CHIP player in the following years. These players are major assets to your team and their leadership as starters is crucial for your team's overall success.
- Starters- These guys will start at their position. However, their play dictates if they can move up into any of the (3) top categories, or ultimately move down to a reserve role, or worse. Ultimately, solid, unspectacular play will keep them in this category unless they play poorly.
- Reserves- These guys are poised to make the team. These players may have a certain skill set that allows them to be solid depth to the starters. However, just like the starters, good play could warrant them increased playing time, while poor play may have them packing their bags.
- On The Cusp- Players who are grinding for a chance to be a Miami Dolphin. Most likely will not be looking for a starting position, but will have to bust their ass in order to become a reserve. A few big plays in practice or a preseason game could be the difference.
- Happy Trails- Training Camp Fillers. Players in this spot are doubtful to make the roster. These players will have to work effortlessly just to move into the position to be considered for a final roster spot. May end up on the practice squad.
Players placed on how they stand at this very instant. Players marked with a stock arrow, either up ( ^ ) or down ( v ), dictates where they stand after their recent performances or 'lack' of play.
Kevin Burnett ( v )
Vontae Davis ( v )
Charles Clay ( ^ )
Chris Clemons ( v )
Matt Moore ( v )
Chad Johnson (FA) ( v )
Richard Marshall (FA) ( ^ )
Jonathan Martin (R) ( ^ )
Legedu Naanee (FA) ( ^ )
Michael Egnew (R) ( v )
Brian Hartline ( v )
Artis Hicks (FA)
Ryan Mahaffey ( ^ )
Lamar Miller (R) ( ^ )
Julius Pruitt ( ^ )
Kheeston Randall (R) ( ^ )
Eric Steinbach (FA)
Ryan Tannehill (R) ( ^ )
Jason Trusnik ( ^ )
Olivier Vernon (R)
Roberto Wallace ( ^ )
-On The Cusp-
Les Brown (R)
Chandler Burden (R)
BJ Cunningham (R)
Jeff Fuller (R)
David Garrard (FA) ( v )
Josh Kaddu (R)
Rishard Mathews (R)
Jamaal Westerman (FA)
-Happy Trails (Released or Practice Squad)-
Jonas Gray (RB)
Chris Hogan (R)
John Jerry ( v )
Marlon Moore ( v )
A few things to discuss starting at the QB position. Wow, what a wild few days it has been. Over 60% voted last week that David Garrard would be the starter, but that was BEFORE "kneegate" happened. I'd be willing to bet that over 60% NOW would be willing to change their vote, and probably to the Tannchize. Let me explain, as of NOW I voted Matt Moore is our starter and Tannehill is our back up. I personally expect this to change and personally believe it is destiny to hand the team over to the kid, especially after his impressive preseason play. But I update this roster on a weekly basis AFTER every preseason game; my feeling (and hope) is after a solid performance by Tannehill in Carolina next week, he will be the top dog at the QB position on the depth chart. Until then, i think if the season started now, that it would be Matt Moore's job. It seems now there is a 100% chance that Moore and Tannehill will battle for the spot and Miami will keep both on the roster. Due to the recent injury to David Garrard, he joins Pat Devlin in the "On the Cusp" category... it is too early to decide what Miami will do with both players.
We are no closer to having the roster spot become clear at the WR position either. I expect this will be the most heated battle as the games progress. Miami will most likely keep 6 WR's, possibly 7, and as of now, Bess, Johnson, Nannee, Wallace, Pruitt and Hartline are the most logical candidates. Guys like Cunningham, Mathews and Fuller are trying to make their cases heard. I had high hopes for both Moore and Gates, but unfortunately for them, they are on the outside looking in. Please vote in the poll and comment below what you believe Miami should do as far as the WR position goes.
AUTHOR'S EDIT: Breaking news released tonight involving Chad Johnson and a domestic dispute. I am not changing anything to this weeks post, however I will change his stock arrow to down. It is still early but we will have to go by a "wait and see" approach. Chad's position on this team is now definitely in question after being a "lock" to make the final roster.
The biggest drop this week goes to my man Vontae Davis. After questions about his maturity and conditioning were brought up via Hard Knocks, he didn't help his case in his first preseason game either. While I think at his best, Davis has RED CHIP quality play at the CB position, and I still believe he will start week 1, his recent play has brought him down a category, and possibly even more if he doesn't get his act together and start playing like we all know he is capable of. The biggest jumps this week go to Ryan Tannehill, Legedu Nannee, Julius Pruitt, and Jason Trusnik, all of whom need to continue to play at a high level. Keep it up guys!
In TOTAL, there are 44 guys above who fit in the top 5 categories and are best poised to make the team. That leaves the remaining guys in the remaining 2 categories, a total of 9 spots to fight over. Please vote in the poll, let me know your opinions below, or tell me how crazy I am if you disagree with me with any of this. Things are starting to shape up but still alot of turmoil awaits. Here's to our boys to a solid, HEALTHY game next Friday in Carolina! Also make sure to check in with Hard Knocks on Tuesday to see if any other bathroom fiascos or injury updates shake things up :)
This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of The Phinsider's writers or editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of The Phinsider writers or editors.