A few more hours before the real start of the Miami Dolphins 2012 season! Now let me say that I can honestly see both sides of the Tannehill argument. A #8 pick is most definitely one that needs to be an impact player NOW! One who will no doubt be in the starting lineup week 1.
Tannehill doesn't fit there. However, on the flip side there's always exceptions to the rule...select him and we have the "luxury" to let him sit the whole year and learn the system from his college coach (Sherman) and take over in 2013. Who ever the player is I just hope he is one that can contribute sooner than later. Please, please don't give us a surprise pick a la Ted Ginn Jr.!!!
Well here is my top 8 mock (don't really care about anything beyond that), let me preface it by saying I'm not basing it on the sexiness of the pick but rather what "I" feel the teams most immediate pressing needs are (I could be wrong and I have been before. LOL), so here we go:
1. Colts - Luck - enough said
2. Skins - RG3 - ditto
3. Vikes - Claiborne - First surprise of the draft. They need someone to cover Megatron, Jennings and Marshall long enough to let Jared Allen and company disrupt Rogers, Stafford and Cutler. They can get a tackle later on.
4. Browns - T. Richardson - they need playmakers and he would be a good start.
5. Bucs - S. Gilmore - with Claiborne off the board, and Gilmore's stock rising, they need another corner. For the same reason Vikes took Claiborne I'm choosing Gilmore here because the Bucs will have to twice face Brees, Ryan and Newton.
6. Rams - Blackmon - plain and simple Bradford needs a weapon and he fits the bill.
7. Jags - Kalil - they could go defense here but if Kalil falls into their laps, take him. Gabbert needs time to throw, if he can't succeed with Kalil protecting him then he'll be looking for a job next year for sure.
8. DOLPHINS - Now here's the tricky one...I simply do not see them drafting someone this high to sit on the bench, however I do see Cleveland willing to do so simply because I think they are enamored with him. Therefore a TRADE with Cleveland for their first (#22) a 2nd and a 4th and they select Tannehill at #8.
Miami at #22, I believe will select either Merciless, Branch or Perry!
Like other mocks, these are just opinions and speculation, not fact! So don't take it too seriously. Shoot at the very least I'm gonna get 4 of the top 8 right ! LOL!!! So let's see how it all plays out. Every one have a great draft day and go DOLPHINS!!!!