Well they say the lockout may end soon. It hasn’t yet and we are all starved for Dolphin news. I don’t have any, but just as I did in my last post(hopefully) maybe I can entertain you for a few minutes. I am going to throw some dates out there, see if you can guess why that date is significant. Of course you can cheat and scroll down for the answers.
1) December 25 1971
2) December 31 1972
3) December 21 1974
4) January 2 1982
5) September 19 1983
6) December 22 1986
7) January 7 1990
8) December 30 1995
9) November 18 2006
10) December 16 2007
Bonus Round September 21 2008
And now for the answers:
1) The longest game in NFL history, Christmas Day in Kansas City. Miami wins in 82:40 on a field goal by Yepremian, final score 27-24. KC missed a field foal at the end of regulation and had one blocked in the 1st OT before Miami could pull it out at 7:40 of the 2nd OT.
2) In a playoff game against the Steelers, Miami is behind and Greise comes off the bench to lead Miami to the win. But, the defining play in this game was a fake punt by Larry Seiple who ran it for 37 yards to spark the win.
3) This is a "date that will live in infamy" some will have guessed, this is the "sea of hands" game. I hated this one so much, I don’t even want to talk about it.
4) This of course is the playoff game against San Diego that many consider the best game ever played by a tight end(was this a precursor to our tight end problems). Kellen Winslow caught 13 passes for 186 yards and blocked a field goal that would have given Miami the win. This game also had the "hook and lateral" play, a 15 yard reception from Don Strock to Duriel Harris and an ensuing lateral to Tony Nathan to end in a 40 yard TD. Final score 41-38 SD wins in OT.
5) Marino’s 1st completed pass, a 9 yarder to Mark Duper in the 4th quarter of a 27-14 loss to the LA Raiders. He also threw 2 TD in this game, the 1st to Rose and a 2nd one to Duper.
7) Long time Owner Joe Robbie Dies, I will always think of the new stadium as Joe Robbie Stadium.
8) Shula coaches his last game , a playoff loss to Buffalo, his last home game was a win against KC.
9) The Phinsider begins, nuff said.
10) Camarillo’s catch against the Ravens. Nothing else needs to be said about this.
Bonus) Miami unleashes the Wildcat against the Patriots.