My two cents
Let's start with the things I liked from Matt Moore:
1. For the very first time, a QB learned how to use a star receiver. Unfortunately, it didn't look like Marshall tried to catch the ball on those jump balls. Matt Moore wasn't afraid to throw the deep ball. Henne always seemed hesitant to throw the deep ball. Moore did this against a tough secondary. Soon, those deep balls will come to big receptions. About time a QB gets aggressive.
2. Stood tall in the pocket. I liked Moore's pocket QB presence. He stood tall, delevired accurate passes but like most of the season, his receivers don't know how to catch the ball. Marshall dropped a couple of passes including a TD, Clay should have hauled that beautiful pass Moore threw to him in the first half, and Hartline has to make that catch when its second and 17. Couldve went for 15 yards and set us up at 3rd and short.
3. Lastly, he was pretty accurate. His stat sheet read 16/34 for 204 yards and 2 picks. His stat sheet shouldve read more like 23/34 for 275 yards with 2 TD and 1 INT. This is his first game as a Dolphin, so I expect him to improve.
Now, the things I didn't like.
1. Missed too many open receivers. 3rd and 1 and you have Lex Hiliiard open for an easy first down that couldve went 7 yards or so. Instead, threw it to Clyde Gates, which was incomplete. Also, missed an easy TD to Charles Clay. Had him open in the red zone and didn't see him and threw an incomplete pass.
2. When you have Marshall, you target him when Revis is covering. When you have Clyde Gates and Revis is covering him, who do you think is gonna win the Battle? Like the 3rd and 1 where he missed an open Hilliard, why throw a lob to Gates when Revis is covering him? The second pick Moore threw, why throw the deep ball to Gates when covered by Revis? You can say the O-line was at fault for that play, but I put 75-25/80-20 blame on Moore.
3. One thing I liked from Henne was he knew when to throw the ball away when he was under pressure. Unfortunately, Moore doesn't know how. 2nd and 10 and you are scrambling for your life, throw the ball away. You don't go out of bounds and lose 7 yards on the play. Moore did this twice.
Now, don't get me wrong here, I am not praising Moore as if he is our franchise QB. I just think he will net us 3-4 wins this year. Now, this defense actually played like a top 5 unit in the first half. Then they went to their old ways. Although, they didn't perform well in the second half, I think this was one of our most solid performances from the D. Too many times NYJ started their ball at midfield or better. Too much to ask for the defense when they are already gassed out. For the O-line, they were actually playing pretty good in the first half for like the first time ever. Then, they played like their old ways. All in all, I just have two questions left for this team: When in the living world are the Dolphins going to pressure any QB? It's like the Dolphins defense is short 3-4 players on the field because the D-line is just invisible. Last question, how much effort are we going to get from this team for the rest of the season? Looking at you Marshall
This fanpost was written by one of The Phinsider's registered users.