Wow what a weekend. I blink for one second and the Dolphins are making moves like it's 08' off-season all over again. This is a lot of stuff to take in all at once, so I had to break it down.
- I doubt the Jets picked up Turner solely for his talents (or lack thereof). I’m pretty sure they’re looking to get some sort of inside info on the team that swept them last year.
- David Martin signed with the Bills, but it really isn’t a big deal. Fans still picture Martin as the player he was in 08’, when in reality he might not even be a shadow of that. And even if Martin gave them inside information, it’s not like they’re going to do anything with it… I mean c’mon it’s the Bills we’re talking about.
- Pat White…
- And can someone please explain to me how Quentin Moses still has a job?
- The Dolphins claimed Clinton Geathers, Jermey Parnell, Joe Reitz, and Robert Rose off waivers. These guys mainly provide some young depth to both sides of the lines.
- The signing of Bobby Carpenter is a good move. Besides the fact that he's a good special teamer, he is also pretty good in coverage, and provides proven depth (though he hasn't proved much). With Crowder's injury history, I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Dobbins ends up starting a few games. With that being said Carpenter's depth is much needed.
- Will Allen being placed on IR makes the decision to trade for Benny Sapp look crucial. Besides whose to say that Allen would've been "back to form" when he returned.
- Jake Long and Channing Crowder were riding stationary bikes today...smh.
- Mike Berardino tweets:
Vontae davis was seen limping noticeably in the locker room. Not a good sign
- Looks like John Nalbone will be our #2 tight end, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This is a guy who could potentially be our "David Martin" of 08'. He can stretch the field.
- The team also announced that Jason Allen will be starting at corner opposite Vontae Davis. I think Sparano said it best:
"From my time here all I’ve heard about was when is Jason Allen going to turn the corner. Maybe the guy has turned the corner. We should be happy about this for Christ sake. I don’t know what the hell you guys are talking about," Sparano said. "I’d rather have three or four corners than two corners. To me, some of these things are really good problems.
The man has a point right?
Sean Smith loses his job to Jason Allen. Well the main negative I take from this is that while Allen is on the outside,Smith can't be utilized in the nickel. Smith is too big to be a nickel corner and he lacks the lateral quickness to stick with slot receivers. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds throughout the season.