Score more points than the other team.
While it was great to see more productivity out of the offense you got to admit they struggled to win the game even though the defense completely dominated the game. We ran the ball for 180 yards but only got 3.8 yards a carry and that would have been much less had it not been for Ricky’s big run at the end. But I have to admit that running the ball for 3 yards is much better than passing on every down and it’s necessary if we expect to have another big day passing.
Running the ball no matter how ineffective keeps the defense on its toes. It gives the QB more time in the pocket and keeps the safeties peeking in the backfield. It gives you more manageable 3rd downs. But if your running game is not effective you have to know when to use it.
- Mix up your pass/run ratio on first down
- Run more draw plays if they are going after the QB
- Put the Wildcat away because we can run for 3 yards out of a 3 wr formation.
- Try the WildThig because at least there is the threat to pass out of that formation
- Play action…. If you’re not running it should be play action except on obvious passing downs like 3rd and 10
- When you have the hot running back stick with him. I like having two good running backs but switching every series is hurting their productivity.