I am the ultimate Henning basher on this site and I hate his excuse about execution because it’s just cop out. But this old dog showed me he is not beyond help and lets hope this is a recuring theme because I really like the guy.
This is what he did differently today that makes me the first to jump on the Henning band wagon bus.
Like they said in Finding Nemo. Sometimes you have to let the little squirt go and believe in him. Henning allowed Chad to take control of the game and he was rewarded with a good performance and only one big mistake.
Against the Steelers he had so much protection I was waiting for the play when actually nobody went out to catch the ball. But not Sunday… Sunday I saw mostly 4 or 5 receivers going out and only max protection on a few plays.
No give up plays. In previous weeks if the Dolphins were in 3rd and long we would see give up plays where he did not want to let something bad happen. This week he let Henne go for it and he only had one interception.
Trick plays. While I’m not a believer of trick plays when you’re moving the offense well on your own. Henning called up two plays and they both worked as drawn up except for the drop.
Promoted Bess to the starting job. While I like Hartline the fact is Bess is a better WR and it makes sense to have your best players on the field. We also got to see a lot more 3 WR sets which was a nice surprise.
But before I proclaim Henning the new master of play calling these points still need to be addressed.
· Wildcat. You fill in the rest.
· Formations, it seems you can tell run/pass just based on the formation.
· You saw a little creativity trying to get Marshall involved but it lasted just a few plays. We need to find ways to get him the ball. Specially when we get in the red zone.
· Marshall lined up on one side while the other two WR lined up on the other side. This made no sense to me. I figure if you put him on one side he will be like a magnet for defenders leaving the underneath routes wide open. We needed to put RB or Bess on the underneath or middle routes on the same side Marshall was and not the other way around.
· Red zone… While we did not go into a shell every time we got into field goal range we were still very bad. 3rd and 10 at the 20 and who do we throw it at 18 and not 19. For that matter was 19 even on the field. 2nd half 1st and 10 on the 19 and we run polite on first and Brown on 3rd and 6. 1/4 for the day we need to do better.
How would you grade Dan Hennings performance against the Bengals?
A (0 votes)
B (25 votes)
C (23 votes)
D (6 votes)
F (0 votes)
54 total votes