And Now For Something Completely Different...

(WARNING-This post has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Dolphins.  Just thought I'd give you a heads up...)

There is something that has been bothering me for almost five years now.  I know I'm not alone, as others have expressed this many times before.  So I know I'm not offering anything new here, I'm just looking to vent, and this is usually a good place for that.

Why does Brett Favre continuously dominate the football conversation in the media in this country?  It has been year round for almost five years now.  It happens pre-season, mid-season, and the entire off-season.  ESPN carries most of the blame here, but it is not limited to them.  It's everywhere.  We are 8 weeks into an exceptionally interesting, and unique, football season.  But 90% of all football talk revolves around him.  (The Cowboys dominate the other 10%, but thats a story for another time.)  If it's not his on-again/off-again retirement(s), its his minute-by-minute on-field performance, or his love/hate relationships with sideline reporters from years ago, or his hate/hate relationship with every coach he's played for since Holmgren (Mcarthy, Mangini, Childress).  This week?  ITs a slight ankle sprain.   Let me repeat that:  A slight ankle sprain.  Do you have any idea how many players are suffering ankle sprains around the league right now?  But when its a Brett Favre ankle sprain, it gets round-the-clock coverage.  I have nothing against the man, despite his drama-queen tendencies.  But enough is enough.  I think he is the second most over-rated QB in the history of the league (don't worry Broadway Joe, you're still number 1), and I laugh when I hear what a "Big-game player" he is.  Cause I remember more than a handful of awful interceptions in HUGE moments (NFC championship game 2009, Phillip Merling 2008, NFC championship game in overtime 2007, just to name a few).  But the media is fascinated with every move he makes.  And this is not a plea for more Dolphins coverage, I assure you.  Lets look at some of the genuinely interesting things going on this year that get ignored:

Tampa Bay, a team that most had pegged for 2 or three wins, is 4-2, and leading their division.

San Diego has the #1 ranked offense, and the #1 ranked defense statistically, and they are 2-5 (Atta boy, Norv).

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the number one rated passer in the league.  Yeah, THAT Ryan Fitzpatrick...

Ladainian Tolmlinson is playing like its ten years ago  (And I really hate him for it).

Michael Vick is playing better than he ever has...

And in reality, in week 8, only 2 or 3 teams DON'T have any shot at the playoffs...

How 'bout the looming labor situation that could rob us all of football next year?

See what I mean?  It's been a really entertaining season so far.  And all I hear about is a 40 year old QB, having a sub-par season, on a disappointing team that is currently third in their division.  What is the obsession?  I know  alot of football fans who follow many different teams, and I can honestly say that not one of them gives a damn about the man.  Why can't ESPN see that?  Why are we being force-fed this?  Have you guys had enough?  Or am I off-base here, and there is something to the obsession?

This is a FanPost and does not necessarily reflect the views of The Phinsider's writers or editors. It does reflect the views of this particular fan though, which is as important as the views of The Phinsider writers or editors.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join The Phinsider

You must be a member of The Phinsider to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Phinsider. You should read them.

Join The Phinsider

You must be a member of The Phinsider to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at The Phinsider. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.