Got a lot of different things on my mind, so I figured I'd just write a quick little post about what's going through my head.
Also, it'll be in full bullet-point format that I love so much.
- Let's get serious. Tyler Thigpen is not the future QB. Chad Henne is the best "QB of the Future" we've had here in a looong time. He was very good in what was essentially his rookie year as a starter, and the guy is already looking like Captain Comeback, leading 4 4th quarter comebacks, 3 that ended up in victories. For the first time in what seems like forever, we don't have a question of who our starting QB for next year is. Savor that, and quit trying to push Thigpen as the second coming of Steve Young.
- Polite needs to be re-signed immediately. He's the best FB in football, and might be the best short-yardage back in football (I'm looking at you, Brandon "twinkle-toes" Jacobs).
- Sean Smith is one of the best cover corners I've ever seen as a rookie. Check the numbers against him. Guys who were tearing up the league like they were playing against 4th graders, suddenly came to a grinding halt against Smith (ie, Andre Johnson's 3 catches for 40 yards when Smith was on him). He's not moving to FS. He will need to work on his tackling and playing more physical, but I don't believe it will be an issue next season. Remember, you're looking at a guy that's been playing CB for only 3 years (he converted from WR at Utah in college). Wait. We might have the best CB in the league soon. I'm not exaggerating.
- Chris Clemons better hit the film room and start learning, because he's got the physical tools to be a starting FS in this league, but he's late on his reads and doesn't seem to understand everything that he's seeing. I have confidence that he can be our future FS, but he's gotta get to work, because if I have to watch Gerbil chasing someone from behind or getting stiff-armed into bolivian (thank you Mike Tyson) one more time, I'm gonna throw up.
- I'm ready for David Lee to take over for Henning. I don't hate Henning like some people, but I don't think he has a great feel for this team right now. I think Lee has a bright offensive mind, and can be creative and bring the big play back to the Dolphins offense (a number 1 WR wouldn't hurt either).
- We are going to need a stud running back sooner than you think. As much as I like Ronnie, I am afraid he'll be hitting that Shaun Alexander/Edgerrin James wall fairly soon. I'm going to sound like a broken record this offseason, but 28 years old and 2 season-ending leg injuries in a 3 year span is not a recipe for a long-term RB.
- Speaking of RB, CJ Spiller will be available when we select in the first round. If I told you that we could draft Chris Johnson at 11 this year, would you pull the trigger? The answer is either "yes of course," or "I don't watch sports." Spiller is going to be a star in this league, and I'd like it very much if he was a star while wearing Aqua and Orange.
- After watching Pittsburgh gash us all day in the running game, are there any questions left regarding why Channing Crowder was re-signed. As he goes, so goes the run defense. Even losing Ferguson wasn't as damaging to our Run D as missing Channing (although, the cumulative effect of missing both was probably the death knell for us today). We don't need to replace him, we need to put another talented guy, somebody who is a coverage specialist, alongside him.
- Random Offseason Wishlist: FA - WR Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson (or a trade for Boldin), ILB Karlos Dansby, NT Ryan Pickett. Draft - RB CJ Spiller, SOLB Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes (whichever one drops into round 2), FS Major Wright, C/G Eric Olsen. Re-signings - JT, Polite, Carpenter, Ronnie (to a RFA one-year tender), Fasano, Bess (I know some of them are RFA's, but I think Carpenter and Bess definitely deserve long-term deals).
- Combine is a little less than 2 months away, we won't be bored around here for long..