On June 16, 2004, following his freshman year, he was hospitalized in an intensive-care unit for smoke inhalation injuries when a house rented by nine Michigan Wolverine players caught fire. Long landed on a teammate's automobile escaping the fire covered in soot at about 4:00 AM that Wednesday. Long was released from the University of Michigan Medical Center and was able to spend Father's Day (June 20) back in Lapeer. When Long awoke to the sound of fire alarms, he attempted to exit his room, but was forced back by the smoke. He exited the building by jumping two floors after knocking out the screen in his bedroom window. Long endured procedures where tubes were put down his throat to suction black phlegm from his lungs at the hospital. The tubes also performed Long's breathing while he lay unconscious for the first few days. A few hours before the fire, the Detroit Pistons had won the 2004 NBA Finals and the neighborhood experienced fireworks celebrations.